X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Jaunty not detecting blank dvds

Hi All,

Am facing a wierd problem, Jaunty is not detecting Blank DVD's, I tried with K3b as well and its not detecting Blank DVD's either. Other DVD's work just fine and automount. Is it a known bug?
    Please find below my DMESG output:

[90861.403652] cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
    [90861.488289] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    [90861.488297] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
    [90861.495998] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    [90861.496017] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0

Thanks,
    Cybeh

Re: Jaunty not detecting blank dvds

I have the same trouble....
    my k3b detected blank cds and dvds, but my plasmoid device notifier and dolphin do not detected them....

Comment

I've actually had trouble with Jaunty not detecting a whole lot of different media, but sometimes a reboot (or possibly just a logout/in) helps. But I also suspect it might be a Nautilus conflict I've been fighting lately. But anyway, try a restart and at least see if you get a different result.

Comment

Here the K3b (KDE 3.5 version) is detecting the CD/DVD media.

That dmesg error/warning (i think) is meaning that it is an empty CD/DVD media. There are not tracks:
        cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
        I get the same message and the K3b burning is working fine.

The Device Notifier is not notifying as there are not orders to notify. The plasma widget Device Notifier actions are at the /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/.

With the Karmic Koala, the K3b (KDE4 version) has actions/notifications: "k3b_create_data_project_from_blank_medium" and "k3b_create_audio_cd_from_blank_medium".
        They seem to not work with the Jaunty...?

More:
        > Device notfier action - open DVD with Kaffeine, VLC and SMPlayer.
        > Device notfier action - play audio CD with the Kaffeine

I tried with K3b as well and its not detecting Blank DVD's either. Other DVD's work just fine and automount.
        Could you tell something about your hardware and the brand of the blank DVD's

How is your hardware detected, what tells /1/:
        Code:
        sudo lshw
        Is the information right ?

..and is the "dvdrw" device pointing to the right device, what tells:
        Code:
        ls -l /dev/dvd*

/1/ man lshw
        NAME
        lshw - list hardware

SYNOPSIS
        lshw [ -version ]

lshw [ -help ]

lshw [ -X ]

lshw [ -html | -short | -xml | -businfo ] [ -class class ... ] [ -disable test ... ] [ -enable test ... ] [ -sanitize ] [
        -numeric ] [ -quiet ]

DESCRIPTION
        lshw is a small tool to extract detailed information on the hardware configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86 or IA-64 systems and on some PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work).
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Ok, my plasmoid device notifier show an audio cd and I can listen it with kaffeine.(But dolphin do not show it in places panel, why?)
          In
          Code:
          /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/
          I do not found a script for burning with k3b a blank dvd/cd. I think that I should add it, but I do not know how to write it....
          I just realized to have another trouble....on my pc I have one dvd rom and one dvd recorder. When I insert an audio cd in my dvd recorder, plasmoid device notifier show it. But when I try to listen it with kaffeine or other applications, I can't listen it.
          Instead, if I insert the same audio cd in my dvd rom, I can listen it with kaffeine or other, whitout problems.
          My dvd recorder is a plextor PX-755A.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

Could you tell something about your hardware and the brand of the blank DVD's

How is your hardware detected, what tells /1/:
            Code:
            sudo lshw

..and is the "dvdrw" device pointing to the right device, what tells:
            Code:
            ls -l /dev/dvd*
            Please find the output below of the above two commands:

Code:
            [b]sudo lshw:[/b]
            *-cdrom                                                                
                    description: DVD-RAM writer                                                    
                    product: CD/DVDW SH-S182D                                                     
                    vendor: TSSTcorp                                                         
                    physical id: 0.1.0                                                        
                    bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0                                                      
                    logical name: /dev/cdrom                                                     
                    logical name: /dev/cdrw                                                      
                    logical name: /dev/dvd                                                      
                    logical name: /dev/dvdrw                                                     
                    logical name: /dev/scd0                                                      
                    logical name: /dev/sr0                                                      
                    version: SB04                                                           
                    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram                                    
                    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready                                             
                   *-medium                                                              
                      physical id: 0                                                         
                      logical name: /dev/cdrom

[b]ls -l /dev/dvd*:[/b]
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2009-06-07 18:36 /dev/dvd -> sr0
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2009-06-07 18:36 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0
            The blank media I was using of Moser Baer, and I also tried a Sony RW, but the same result. Am also using the K3b 3.5.10 and it still asks me to insert a blank DVD for writing. see the screenshot:

Hope we'll come up with a solution for this. I simply dont want to use XP even on vmware.

Cybeh

Comment

Hmm - looking that picture and to me it looks like

- your medium is detected as: Empty DVD-R.
              - your project is 4.8 GB

Thats why the K3b is asking new Double Layer DVD.

Are your DVD's Single-Sided Single Layer ? Or something else ?

There are many kind of DVD's > DVD Sizes

Comment

Good point noted, I'll check it when I get back home tonight. though I have my doubts, no harm in checking.

But even if this is true, then this can be called as a bug, it should limit the project capacity to the medium capacity. My blank medium is single layer 4.2 GB.

Comment

Thanks Rog, this idea worked. But am still wondering there should be a warning message at least if you exceed the limit.

Thanks anyways,
                  Cybeh

Comment

I do not found a script for burning with k3b a blank dvd/cd. I think that I should add it, but I do not know how to write it....

Example

A notifier for the blank CD and DVD.

This .desktop file:
                    Code:
                    [Desktop Action open]
                    Exec=k3b
                    Icon=k3b
                    Name=Blank CD or DVD

[Desktop Entry]
                    Actions=open;
                    Type=Service
                    X-KDE-Action-Custom=true
                    X-KDE-Solid-Predicate=[ IS OpticalDisc AND OpticalDisc.blank == true ]
                    at ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/ or /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/ will offer a notification through the "Device Notifier" plasmoid.

Tools

The KDE 4.3 has a handy tool (KDE control module) to make/edit the device notifier actions:
                    solid-actions - A configuration tool for managing the actions available to the user when connecting new devices

System Settings > Advanced > Device Actions

It is working with the KDE 4.2 (KDE 4.2.4). A PPA /1/ repository for the Jaunty > solid-actions-kcm, a configuration tool for managing the solid actions

I just realized to have another trouble....on my pc I have one dvd rom and one dvd recorder. When I insert an audio cd in my dvd recorder, plasmoid device notifier show it. But when I try to listen it with kaffeine or other applications, I can't listen it.
                    What tells:
                    Code:
                    ls -l /dev/cd*

/1/ FAQ: Repositories

Comment

Working...
                    X