This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Doesn't Close Properly

I couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu Jaunty. On top of this fresh install I also installed firefox and songbird. With both browsers whenever I close them they don't fully close. The next time I go to open them they always come back with Firefox/Songbird is already open.

Until I hit killall firefox/songbird I can't open the software. Anybody else having this problem.

Re: Firefox Doesn't Close Properly

I have exactly the same problem with Firefox (the only browser I'm using). I'm also using Thunderbird and other GTK apps but they are all fine.
    I have not found any other post on this and was just about to post it, too ;-).
    I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 (64bit). In Intrepid Firefox was running fine, the problem ocured when I upgraded to Jaunty.
    Also it does not seem to occur all the time, but most of the time... I'm not sure what's causing it.
    At the moment I can only restart Firefox by manually killing the process from the System Activity window (Ctl-Esc or what ever you assigned).
    Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Chopstick

Comment

I'm having the same problem, but I found that using File->Quit does a clean shutdown of Firefox. Using the X on the window decorations does not.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I now find that File->Quit works most of the time, but not all of the time. Strange.

EDIT: I just did the latest updates from jaunty backports and problem appears to be gone.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

I too had that problem. I was using ntfs file system at the time and upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 when the problem started. I decided to dump winXP and did a clean install of 9.04 with ext3 as the file system and all works great. Don't know if it was changing from ntfs to ext3 or doing a clean install that fixed the problem but one or the other did the trick.
        I hope that this helps...

lrfocke

Comment

I frequently get this as well. I did some research a while back and it appears the issue is in the gtk-qt libraries. I gave up trying to find a fix and was hoping it would go away with the next upgrade of the gtk-qt libraries.

Comment

It's certainly not the ntfs file system because I always had ext3... even on my external hard disk.
            In my experience File > Quit produces the same problem as the "x" in the window decoration.

Chopstick

Comment

It might be a clean install of 9.04 that fixed it for me then. Ever since I installed it as a clean install instead of an upgrade I have had no problems. I have stumble and flash installed which others seem to think might be the cause and it still works.
              Good luck chopstick, I know it is a hard (Windows) sort of way to fix a problem, oh well.

lrfocke

Comment

I'm not very keen on doing a clean install... I guess I will just hope that some update will fix it.
                I'm having the problem since I upgraded to jaunty. I started using kubuntu with a clean install of intrepid (and there I didn't have that problem).

Thanks anyway.

Comment

I had the same problem when I did an upgrade from the alternate cd.

I restored the 8.10 from backup adn then did the upgrade online and after all the upgrades were don the trouble went away

Comment

A clean install of Jaunty here and I have never had any problems with Firefox. Of course, I only stayed on KDE 4.2.2 a couple of days before I updated to 4.2.3. Currently on 4.3 beta 2. Have you guys tried updating KDE?

Comment

I am currently using kde 4.2.2 and since I did the clean install of 9.04 firefox works. So the problem does not appear to be 4.2.2 but things seem to be pointing to the upgrade from 8.10. Firefox did a upgrade to 3.0.11 this morning has this helped anyone?

lrfocke

Comment

It didn't help, the problem persists. I upgraded to jaunty online... but because I was already running KDE4.2 in 8.10 there were some packages I had to remove manually... maybe that messed things up?
                        Chopstick

Comment

I experienced this odd problem one time, this morning. I had to kill the FF process to shut it down.

But, I just rebooted my system, and ran the experiment twice, and it's working correctly now, so I dunno. This is 9.04 with KDE 4.2.90 and FF 3.0.11.

Comment

Working...
                          X