This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried to update KDE to 4.3 beta 1

Unfortunately it resulted in broken dependencies, so I have resorted to using Gnome instead. Hopefully KDE 4 beta 2 will sort out the problems.

Re: Just tried to update KDE to 4.3 beta 1

Check http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103850.0

Comment

Yep, that sounds about right!

Originally posted by Naatan

Comment

sure does check the link tomp01 provided i have a soultion on pg 2 of the thread.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I tried that but gave up, I have started from scratch with the Jaunty CD. It seems to have fixed some other problems notably Klipper using excessive CPU resources.

Originally posted by sithlord48
          sure does check the link tomp01 provided i have a soultion on pg 2 of the thread.

Comment

tomp01
            that process has worked for me on all machines i am testing the beta on, a total of 3. some times it just takes a while of doing it over and over before you get the packages all upgraded...by far my laptop was the worst with about 15 or so of the force/update cycles needed, but eventually it finally stopped throwing errors and now it working correctly w/ the 4.3 beta packages.
            on my desktop it only took me 3 cycles of force / updating.

Comment

I'm not doubting the method or you, it's just that I felt it was about time for a fresh install. I'll wait for a while before trying again, it amazing that it's called a beta with so many broken dependencies. God knows what the alpha was like.

Originally posted by sithlord48
              tomp01
              that process has worked for me on all machines i am testing the beta on, a total of 3. some times it just takes a while of doing it over and over before you get the packages all upgraded...by far my laptop was the worst with about 15 or so of the force/update cycles needed, but eventually it finally stopped throwing errors and now it working correctly w/ the 4.3 beta packages.
              on my desktop it only took me 3 cycles of force / updating.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                it amazing that it's called a beta with so many broken dependencies. God knows what the alpha was like.
                the version of kde is the beta.
                The packages for kubuntu are alpha thats why there in the kubuntu-expermental ppa. so the packages bugs related to smooth install in to kubuntu can be fixed..(this is at least my understanding)

Comment

I'm finding that, on balance, the beta of 4.3 is running with fewer issues than the last version of 4.2 for me! The only major issue I'm having is that Gwenview keeps crashing (or should that be 'krashing'?). Almost everything else is running better. I'm a very happy camper - and I can only assume things will get better as the beta tightens up over the upcoming weeks.

Comment

I have to say I have lost my initial enthusiasm for bleeding edge technology, I'll wait until it is more stable.

Originally posted by olembe
                    I'm finding that, on balance, the beta of 4.3 is running with fewer issues than the last version of 4.2 for me! The only major issue I'm having is that Gwenview keeps crashing (or should that be 'krashing'?). Almost everything else is running better. I'm a very happy camper - and I can only assume things will get better as the beta tightens up over the upcoming weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X