This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help getting dependancies satsifed WICD

I've had a lot of problems with KNetworkManager (before updates to it from a fresh install) it would time out the connection before the wireless router could authenticate. Now with the updates, it dosent even send traffic out.

For the record, I've never had this problem when running NetworkManager under GNOME, but what I'm currently using is WICD.

I've tested out KDE 4.3, and NetworkManager is still busted. What I'm asking for is how to get a .deb file for WICD with all it's dependencies so I can install it offline? I've looked through the repo, but I've got no idea what packages are installed by default and what is needed to get the program to function that is NOT installed by default.

Many thanks in advance,

-Dante

Re: Need help getting dependancies satsifed WICD

The only dependencies that I know of are the python-glade2 package, and the removal of networkmanager and the plasma-widget-network-manager.

For instance:
    Code:
    daniel@daniel-studioXPS:~$ sudo apt-get install wicd
    [sudo] password for daniel:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
     python-glade2
    Suggested packages:
     python-gtk2-doc
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     network-manager plasma-widget-network-manager
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
     python-glade2 wicd
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/304kB of archives.
    After this operation, 1901kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    Does this help?
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

It does indeed.

Are you sure thats the only package that needs to be downloaded, though?

Comment

No clue. These are the only ones that show up for me. As far as I remember, this was all that was needed when I did a fresh install, but there may be others that I already have installed.
        Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

you can run "aptitude show wicd" to list the dependencies. It depends on a little more than python-glade2.

$ aptitude show wicd
          Package: wicd
          State: not installed
          Version: 1.5.9-2
          Priority: optional
          Section: universe/net
          Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
          Uncompressed Size: 1905k
          Depends: python, python-support (>= 0.7.1), python-gtk2, python-dbus, wpasupplicant, python-glade2, wireless-tools, dhcpd | dhcp3-client | pump, net-tools | ethtool, net-tools | iproute, adduser
          Suggests: pm-utils
          Conflicts: network-manager
          Description: wired and wireless network manager
          Wicd is an open source wired and wireless network manager which aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a wide variety of settings.
          linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Yes, it does. However, I was asking what dependanies do I need that are not already installed?

I can see a few there that are already installed.

Comment

can you just hard wire it to the rowter untill after installing wicd?

or if the rowter is pluged thrugh the DSL remove the rowter and plug in the computer.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What may or may not get installed will really depend on the system. My system satisfies all the dependencies. I don't have a fresh install so I can't tell you. If you have one, running "apt-get install --dry-run wicd" would tell you what gets installed without actually installing anything. I don't think all the dependencies combined amount to that much space. You could keep them all offline.
                linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

If you just run:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install wicd
                  all of the dependencies should be automatically downloaded and installed.

Comment

Ahhh...Detonate? I'm asking this question beecause KNetworkManager does not work for me, it only slightly works before update and dosent after update from a fresh install.

So yes, I'm aware of how to install it, I am not aware, however, of how to install an application from the internet when I cannot get online and thus install it in the first place.

Now, sorry if I sound as though I'm talking down here, but I recently had a great big fight with what felt like half the forum members of the Ubuntu forum, as many would say things along a similar line. It was extremely annoying that everyone would just tell me to install it fron KPackageKit or the command line. These people assume that I am already connected to the internet and thus can install said package, when in fact I can't as, surprise surprise, I lack the tool to connect.

Whilst we're on topic, I know of KNetworkManager and the plasmaoid, but are there any other networking systems in Kubuntu? I for one would love to see a backup app just in case.

Comment

OK, I see your problem. As you were posting on the INTERNET in the forum I wrongly assumed you were online with the machine through a wired connection. As vinnywright said, is it not possible to temporaily find a wired connection to do the install? That of course would be the best way.

In answer to your question, you can establish a connection without any network manager at all. This can be done thru editing the /etc/networking /interfaces file. I have a howto here:
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0
                      that tells how to do it with a wired network, and this could be modified to work with a wireless network, but could get difficult if it is a secured network. If the network is not secured, you could easily edit the interfaces file to establish a DHCP connection.

Comment

I'm afraid a wired connection is out of the question, any tool I've tried cannot connect properly in a wired state.

:/

I have acutally been looking into 8.04 LTS, simply for the fact that the eariler kernel (and the one in 9.10) can read my battery meter, which is important when your dependant on a laptop. Alas, 8.04 cannot make sense of my wireless hardware

Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanteAshton
                          I'm afraid a wired connection is out of the question, any tool I've tried cannot connect properly in a wired state.
                          A permanently wired connection can be easily set up without the need for ANY NetworkManager, plasma, wicd etc.
                          The contents of my /etc/network/interfaces is
                          Code:
                          auto lo
                          iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
                          iface eth0 inet dhcp
                          This should "just work" assuming you have a dhcp setup and no static addresses

Comment

Ahh, perhaps it's wise for me to mention that my knowledge of networking is limited to entering SSID's and passphrases?

Comment

Originally posted by DanteAshton
                              Ahh, perhaps it's wise for me to mention that my knowledge of networking is limited to entering SSID's and passphrases?
                              Detonate allredey provided you with a detaled how to for geting internet withought a network manager on a hardwired conection

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X