This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking Good

Well once again, after some trepidation and procrastination, Kubuntu Jaunty is installed on my old guy and looking good.

I tried to upgrade/install from the CD, and on my test hard drive. It went O.K., but there were just too many issues and inconsistencies to make it work. As usual, at least on my hardware, the LiveCD didn't work worth **** !! That aspect has been getting worse since 8.04. So I shut down, restarted and just walked away from the machine for a few moments. I was going to set "Safe Video" and also unset the quiet mode -- I like to see all that stuff scroll by on my screen. Anyway, I was distracted, didn't do all that, and amazing enough Jaunty just rolled right on to the LiveCD screen. I don't know, maybe the LiveCD just doesn't like being messed with. O.K., long story short, I re-installed my normal hard drive and restarted the LiveCD. ARRRRGGGHHH!! Blank screen, no response from any key presses, zip.

Well, my 8.04 installation was still intact, so I for the first time I did a Version Upgrade. Worked well, or so I thought. Again, I was briefly distracted and must have missed the part where it asked about my menu.lst file (I have some customizations). Again, long story short, Grub was using an old kernel. Explains why b43-fwcutter was apparently not working. It was actually, and it even set a message in DNESG that the b43 module was too new. But who looks at that. Anyway, fixed menu.lst. Upon reboot, my Broadcom-based wifi card lit up, I set wicd up with the PSK for our wireless router, and all was wonderful.

KDE 4 behaves very well on my old guy. So all in all, Jaunty looks like another keeper.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Working...
X