Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few upgrade problems (sound, knetworkmanager, and batterymonitor)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few upgrade problems (sound, knetworkmanager, and batterymonitor)

Hello all -

I recently upgraded from 8.10, and I have a few problems.

First, the sound isn't working at all. It did before, and if I reboot using the older kernel sound works fine. But it doesn't in the new kernel. My sound card is a:

Code:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    I'm running a Dell Latitude E6400.

The two other more minor problems can probably be fixed easily. First, knetworkmanager isn't starting by default, I have to run it every time after logging in. Oddly, it seems to force kwallet to open and request my password. This never happened before.

Second, the battery monitor has disappeared. I'm not even sure what it's called to start it from the command line. Can anyone tell me how to start it?

Thanks for your help!

best,
    kevin

Re: A few upgrade problems (sound, knetworkmanager, and batterymonitor)

The battery applet went also missing for me, it's called "guidance-power" and it migically reappeared after a reboot.

Knetworkmanager would not handle my wpa-2 network so I now use nm-alpplet, a gnome front end and it too wants a password.

When I get fed up with it I'll revert to wicd and see if this password business stops.

About the sound, I'm not clued up on hardware but in the past I've usually had success running "alsamixergui", it's like The Mother of Sound Mixers for Alsa systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      The battery applet went also missing for me, it's called "guidance-power" and it migically reappeared after a reboot.
      Thanks! I found it, "guidance-power-manager". For some reason it was removed or wasn't installed during the upgrade. I had to get it from the repositories and install it.

Knetworkmanager would not handle my wpa-2 network so I now use nm-alpplet, a gnome front end and it too wants a password.

When I get fed up with it I'll revert to wicd and see if this password business stops.
      knetwork manager has always worked fine for me. I'm mostly curious about why it isn't restarted when I restart my computer. When you shutdown from KDE it used to save which programs were currently running and re-execute them on startup. It seems to still be doing that with firefox and others. So, it's a bit of a mystery. Has knetworkmanager been depricated or something? Even so, why does KDE hate it?

About the sound, I'm not clued up on hardware but in the past I've usually had success running "alsamixergui", it's like The Mother of Sound Mixers for Alsa systems.
      It's not alsamixer, I've checked. This is perhaps the biggest issue for me, and I'm guessing the problem is somewhere relatively deep in the kernel given that the problem seems to depend on which kernel I boot from. But, what the hell do I know

Thanks again for your help!

best,
      kevin

Comment

Regarding the sound issue...

I had the same problem. Sound worked in 8.10 and failed in 9.0.4.

Actually I had some sound, but it was choppy and stuttering.

I installed PulseAudio and it fixed everything.

Why the upgrade did not automatically select that package is beyond me. I don't recall if it had it installed in 8.10, but it definitely was the fix for Jaunty.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately pulseaudio resulted in no change. Sound continues to work under the old kernel and fails in the new one.

Comment

I found it very irritating that I was required to enter the kwallet password every time I wanted to connect.

I installed wicd, which removed networkmanager and knetworkmanager. Once installed (think I needed to reboot) and configured it simply connects on startup.

On the sound, it's the same as mine, which works fine. Have you done any sound testing from within system settings/multimedia?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              On the sound, it's the same as mine, which works fine. Have you done any sound testing from within system settings/multimedia?
              I have, and there is nothing. No errors, but just no sound.

Comment

Working...
              X