This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried 9.04 on a netbook?

I have an acer aspire one and wondered if anyone has tried kubuntu 9.04 on a netbook? The reports on the ubuntu forums are positive and they have developed the UNR interface for gnome but I haven't seen any reports of how kubuntu is working on the small screens.

Tbh I have been running ubuntu and xubuntu since 8.10 because of the problems with kde4. I don't mind gnome and xfce but there are still a couple of kde apps I can't let go of, kmymoney and digikam and kde apps are such a pain under gnome that I thought of perhaps trying kde again. (I always found gtk apps worked much better under kde than the other way round).

Re: Has anyone tried 9.04 on a netbook?

I'm rocking jaunty on my eeepc 900 right now. It's fantastic. I have compositing turned off for extra speed, but even that works fine (just slows things down a tad). I've tried several things on my netbook, and this is by far the best. I tried ubuntu with netbook remix, but I think it's going in totally the wrong direction. Kubuntu Jaunty rocks on netbooks (or at least on the eeepc 900). Give it a try!

Comment

I've got a couple of MSI Wind notebooks. I think I'm gonna download the latest iso of Jaunty and give it a go.

I wonder how WiFi is going to work... or IF it's going to work.

Kev

Comment

Well this looks promising!!!

http://forums.msiwind.net/debian/ubu...ox-t10253.html

I Just wanted to lef you all know, that with the alfa 6 of Ubuntu 9.04 the rtl8180se wifi is working out of the box. What i discovered is, that even with the gnome-network-manager it works without connection loss. So you don't even need to change over to wicd. Try it out.
        and

i can aslo confirm that on the medion akoya E1210 the wifi (ralink RT2860) works out of the box
        Wow I can't wait!!!

Kev

Comment

won't even boot the live cd iso of Jaunty on my MSI Wind.

I used unetbootin to make a live USB... but no go.

Kev

Comment

I just tried out the liveCD on a compaq a900 with a dual-core and the AR242x WiFi card...(real stinker to get going when I first tried Kubuntu/Ubuntu)

It sees the card out of the box now, so that alone has me happy as a schoolgirl on prom night.

Comment

I'm running it on my Dell Mini 9 and it's working just great!

Cheers,
              zenarcher
              Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

hi
                i'm running it on a msi wind u100 plus for like a week, and it's very nice.
                i have kind of a little problem with the wifi conections (jaunty does recognize the card out of the box!)
                but in my case the widge from plasma doesn't get me connected. i am trying now wicd and is working better.

besides that everything goes well, sound, cam, everything working

i'll like to get the fonts pdi at 83 but couldn't find how to do that.

anyway i'm a happy girl with a happy msi
                yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

Well, I also own aspire one 150 netbook and I'm looking forward to installing kubuntu 9.04 on it. I have a question for you, guys, do you need to tweak the hdparam for the load_cycle_count issue that I've been reading recently?

Comment

I have a question for you, guys, do you need to tweak the hdparam for the load_cycle_count issue that I've been reading recently?
                    errrrrr.... what "load_cycle_count issue"?
                    yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

Have a look at these links:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ort/+bug/59695
                      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerManagement

Oh, and btw, I found the info about Aspire one:
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022604

Comment

Working...
                      X