This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype and Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000

Hardware -> Intel dual core 2.6Mhz - 2Gb - Nvidia GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE2 - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
    Kubuntu 9.04 - KDE 4.2.3

I recently got hooked into Skype and purchased a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. I selected this device after seeing it referenced in several articles on using webcams in Linux. It was highly mentioned, as were all Logitech webcams. I plugged it in and the microphone worked right away. I did a test call in Skype to check it. The camera light does not come on. I installed Camorama and got the following message:

Could not connect to video device (/dev/video0).
    Please check connection.

That was strange so I looked in Kinfocenter at the USB devices and got:

- EHCI Host Controller (1)
    - Mass Storage Device
    - Unknown
    - UHCI Host Controller (2)
    - UHCI Host Controller (3)
    - UHCI Host Controller (4)
    - USB Multimedia Keyboard
    - USB Receiver
    - UHCI Host Controller (5)

No Logitech camera. Strange. I did more searching on Google and saw that luvcvideo might help me. I installed it and up came a window with a pretty good camera shot and it showed:

luvcview 0.2.4

SDL information:
    Video driver: x11
    A window manager is available
    Device information:
    Device path: /dev/video0
    Stream settings:
    Frame format: MJPG
    Frame size: 640x480
    Frame rate: 30 fps

This I found very strange as camorama still says it's not on /dev/video0 and Kinfocenter still shows no Logitech camera. I then did an lsusb and got:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:c501 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse Receiver
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c312 Logitech, Inc.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Kinfocenter and Camorama don't find it, luvcvideo and lsusb both find it, and that seems really wierd. It works with Skype automatically, I tested it. I can't determine if the autofocus and autobrightness correction are working yet. I think Camorama is supposed to do that? Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions on why Kinfocenter and Camorama can't see it?

Bottom line, the camera plugged in and worked with Skype out of the box. I only had to alter my Skype settings (which did show the Logitech, by the way) as I had another Microphone selected and video off. I'm pretty happy with the camera, but still curious about the USB issues above.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: Skype and Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000

Would be nice to have the "camera on" light working on mine... good luck getting a solution.

Comment

Re: Skype and Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000

My camera on light works when I get a Skype connection or execute luvcvideo. I'd like to be able to use Camorama to adjust the camera or get the auto features working.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Working...
      X