X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] KDE changed into gnome?!

Greetings,

My kubuntu laptop said it had 8 upgrades ready this evening, which I installed. After turning it off and back on (i realized I forgot something so I powered it back on), my nice-slick-looking KDE 4.1 changed into gnome! The main reason I switched from ubuntu to kubuntu is that I personally dislike the look of gnome, BIG TIME!

Anyway, how do I switch back to KDE and exterminate just about any possibility of this ever happening again to me? Clear instructions would be highly appreciated, since I don't know much about linux yet, and don't know anything about moving around and finding things in gnome.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

With regards,
    Purplemess

Re: KDE changed into gnome?!

On the screen where you put in your username and password there is an icon to chooses session type. Choose Gnome and you will get Ubuntu. Choose KDE and you will get Kubuntu.

You can remove Gnome by issuing the command:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    If you look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde it will tell you how to get back to pure KDE.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

To me it sounds like you did not get the chance to log into KDE?

In that case just reinstall the KDE package and it should bring back the options at log in.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. The KDE-option was still available in the "Session Type" thingy, it just did not occur to me (my current status: Über-linux-n00b ) I'm currently working on removing any remaining gnome-stuff from my laptop.

Again thanks for all the help in solving my problem.

~Purplemess

Comment

Working...
        X