This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved)KDE 4.2 killed me

I just updated/upgraded from 4.2RC to 4.2. Everything seemed fine until I restarted my system. I know appear to boot fine until the desktop is about to come up when I receive an error saying that Plasma has crashed. From there my Kmail comes up and I am able to get to firefox through the Kmail>about link. Other than that my desktop is dead.

Advice and suggestions are most appreciated!!!!!
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: KDE 4.2 killed me

Originally posted by Marlin
    I just updated/upgraded from 4.2RC to 4.2. Everything seemed fine until I restarted my system. I know appear to boot fine until the desktop is about to come up when I receive an error saying that Plasma has crashed. From there my Kmail comes up and I am able to get to firefox through the Kmail>about link. Other than that my desktop is dead.

Advice and suggestions are most appreciated!!!!!
    If you can get Konsole to run then you can delete the plasma config files using the command
    rm ~/.kdeshare/config/plasma*and reboot. In the bad old days of KDE 4.0 and 4.1 I had to use this often.

Comment

Does Alt-F2 work? You can try to type 'plasma' there and see if it starts. You could also try removing the plasma packages and then reinstalling them. You could also try deleting plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc from ~/.kde/share/config.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
        Originally posted by Marlin
        If you can get Konsole to run then you can delete the plasma config files using the command
        rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*and reboot. In the bad old days of KDE 4.0 and 4.1 I had to use this often.

Oops, missed off a /

Comment

Looks like it is the "Stockquote" plasmoid.

Anyone know where I can kill that at?
          Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Yes, if you delete the two plasma rc files (or edit out the stockquote plasmoid settings) you should be good to go.

Comment

Re: (Solved)KDE 4.2 killed me

OK, it was the StockQuote plasmoid (DAMN IT, it's a favorite but Rog131 warned me ). Anyway, renamed .kde, surgically removed all references to StockQuote, wrote it over the new .kde and Voila', back in business.

Thanks for the quick responses folks!!

Comment

Re: (Solved)KDE 4.2 killed me

OK, it was the StockQuote plasmoid (DAMN IT, it's a favorite but Rog131 warned me ). Anyway, renamed .kde, surgically removed all references to StockQuote, wrote it over the new .kde and Voila', back in business.
                Yes, > Re: KDE 4.2 packages
                Close unofficial plasmoids down before you upgrade. Plasmoids are needing rebuild as the plasmoids build with the RC won't work and/or will kill the plasma desktop (The White Screen of Death).
                (My PPA is rebuilding them now/rebuild done)

Note !
                > Topic: Jaunty Jackalope plasmoids with the Intrepid Ibex

Check first the official repositories ! Package plasmoid-stockquote is now part of the official Jaunty repositories. I haven't check this but it might work with the Intrepid.
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                X