This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what script runs with "logout" option? KDM doesn't reload

I have one issue with Intrepid (my system was an upgrade from Hardy)...

[edit] I had a spare 2.5" drive so I did a fresh install of 8.10 and the issue still occurs... KDM fails to start on an acer aspire LCI 3005 Laptop.[end edit]

everything works except something kind of annoying: I can't log out. Shutdown, Restart, Suspend, Hibernate all work properly. When Shutdown or Restart are chosen, I do see a short notice before usplash starts that kdm is stopped. However, logout produces the following thing

** checking battery state

I see this when I restart/shutdown... and after it, I see something about kdm **stop** and it does so, and then shuts down or reboots.

For "Log out" there is nothing after ** checking battery state.

I have to

ctrl-alt-F1 to get a console login where I can issue

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

Though frequently I need to restart the x server to attach a projector so I just do

sudo init 1

There might be a better way to restart the x-server from the command line as well, but really, I just want to log off and get the kdm greeting screen.

I see no error messages, and using ctrl-alt-F1 stops it... and it stops during shutdown/reboot.

So if I knew which script file runs when I select "logout" from the KDE 4 desktop, I can look there. Reinstalling kdm hasn't helped... I used Synaptic to remove all residual config files of uninstalled programs and I also ran gtkorphan to really get rid of packages and configurations I don't need anymore.

I tried using another login manager, xdm and gdm and I get the same problem... so it isn't the login manager, but a failure of kde to not run the/an appropriate script. The login manager works from a fresh start/reboot.
Working...
X