X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistant of program on Desktop

Hello All,
    Could you please advise me how to installing assistant of program on Desktop
    (for example Firefox).
    I have Kubuntu 8.10 II beta (KDE 4.1)

Thank you for your reply

BR
    Lukas

Re: Assistant of program on Desktop

I think you mean - How do you create shortcuts on the desktop.

Until the experts come along and tell us how to do it properly, I will tell you how I did it.

1) Add the Widget called Folder View to the Desktop. This will show your Home.

2) Right Click in a Space and choose Create New>Link to Application.

3) Click on the ? to change the icon. Choose Other Icons> Firefox

4) Go to Applications Tab. Name: Firefox. Command firefox %u

5) LEFT click/drag the icon onto the desktop

... Firefox opens . (You have to leave the Link in the Home file)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Or you can rite clik on menu- clik on menu editor- choose advanced - choose firefox and change firefox%c to firefox%i (icon) exit then contine left clik and then rite clik properties then change icon to whatever you want.

Comment

Assuming arochester's interpretation of Luke's request is right (well done, mate) I'd just unlock my widgets, open kmenu, find the program and drag it onto the desktop, bingo.

Personally I prefer kooldock though.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Interesting.

I can't work crossface's post out.

I have been using "Application Launcher Menu. Traditional menu cased application launcher." This does not enable dropping an icon onto the desktop.

BUT if I use "Application Launcher. Launcher to start applications" and follow toad's post so far...

1) Open "Application Launcher" (The NEW one)

2) Goto Firefox. RIGHT click and choose either Add to Desktop or add to panel.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Well, live and learn....

Thank You, toad and arochester.

Incidentally, as well as the Add to Desktop, there is also Add to Favourites. I'm a happier bunny.

.... or would it sound better as a happier bunnier?

Edited to add:
            Forget that last line.... please....

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
              Interesting.

I can't work crossface's post out.

I have been using "Application Launcher Menu. Traditional menu cased application launcher." This does not enable dropping an icon onto the desktop.

BUT if I use "Application Launcher. Launcher to start applications" and follow toad's post so far...

1) Open "Application Launcher" (The NEW one)

2) Goto Firefox. RIGHT click and choose either Add to Desktop or add to panel.

Strangely for me the add to panel does not work and errs with Kate opening and mentioning no kdesudo command. Add to desktop or add to favourites works.

Comment

Working...
              X