This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make kubuntu your main OS???

Hello everyine I recently installed kubuntu and loving it, now here's the main question. How can i get kubuntu to become my main operating system. I want to delete windows vista and just keep this as my only operating system. Let me know what you think, any help is appreciated!

Re: Make kubuntu your main OS

All you have to do is delete the partition that windows is on and resize it using qtparted.
    Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

vista is on the same partition as this

Comment

By that do you mean you installed Kubuntu from within Vista i.e with Wubi? If not and you simply allowed it to do it's own install routine then 'buntu will have created its own partitions.

Let us know how you installed in the first place. That will dictate the next steps.

BTW how long have you been running 'buntu?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
          By that do you mean you installed Kubuntu from within Vista i.e with Wubi? If not and you simply allowed it to do it's own install routine then 'buntu will have created its own partitions.

Let us know how you installed in the first place. That will dictate the next steps.

BTW how long have you been running 'buntu?
          Yes if you used Wubi I think you will have to back everything up and start from scratch if you didn't it isn't on the same partition.

Comment

I mounted the iso, asked where I wanted to install kubuntu, the only choice was c, so I installed into C with 30gb or something like that.

Then installed and when I startup it asks for which OS I want to start from

Comment

you have it installed to a disk image on you ntfs volume, as far as i know (and i could be wrong) your best bet is to back up your files and format the disk make a / a swap and a /home partition
              we make a /home partition so that way if you have to format again you can just format the / partition and use your /home as the new os's /home.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Jokervx4
                I mounted the iso, asked where I wanted to install kubuntu, the only choice was c, so I installed into C with 30gb or something like that.

Then installed and when I startup it asks for which OS I want to start from
                SOunds like ou used wubi so like I said you will probably need to make a backup of your files and start from scratch using the liveCD.

Comment

hmm, Can I burn the iso to a regular CD-RW?

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    you have it installed to a disk image on you ntfs volume, as far as i know (and i could be wrong) your best bet is to back up your files and format the disk make a / a swap and a /home partition
                    we make a /home partition so that way if you have to format again you can just format the / partition and use your /home as the new os's /home.
                    and I have no idea how to do that

Comment

Yes, it sounds like you were running Windows at the time so it's running as if it is a Windows app.

I would uninstall kubuntu it first, back up your data and then restart your machine with the CD in it. During the install process you will be given some partitioning options. If you really want to zap windows then you can tell 'buntu to take over the whole drive. Alternatively you can tell it to resize the windows partition and set up partitions for itself, leaving you with a dual-boot machine. that will enable you to have both (not running at the same time of course). Unless you have played with Linux for a while and are happy you will never need Windows again then just zapping it might be a bit hasty.

Another option might be to do the opposite of what you did at first, which is devote the whole hard drive to Linux and set up a Windows virtual machine. This will depend on whether you have a proper vista install disk and how powerful your machine is.

Food for thought I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokervx4
                        hmm, Can I burn the iso to a regular CD-RW?
                        Yes you can

Comment

Thank you for the help, this is amazing, i was expecting some mean people, but I'm loving kubuntu, just installed it and loving it, I will do that. I'm going to use WIndows on another partition and tell kubuntu to take over the whole C Drive. Because I'm having an issue on a game i need to play, part of a big team on it, but other then that It's definitely one of the best OS I've ever used.

Comment

To answer your other points:

Yes you can burn to a regular CD-RW however you need to use your CD burning software iso image functions. Simply copying the ISO file won't do it.

The partitioning, that is the tricky bit. The 'buntu install routine will do it for you and all the various types are available. Do you want to keep Windows? If so you need the installer to resize rather than delete it. That makes space for the others. You will need 3 one is the root partition (known as /) where the system folders go. There is home, where your personal folders and setting will go and the swap partition, basically an extension of the computer memory. Given that by the process you are making changes to the structure of your hard drive and potentially erasing data you have it very clear in your own mind where you want to go with this.

edit: Gaming is one reason why you might not want to remove windows at least for now. So you will need to dual boot. I am assuming that what you know as the c:\ drive is currently the whole of the hard drive so you will need the kubuntu installer to resize it rather than delete the windows drive.

Comment

Yup, I have 2 partitions. I'm going to use the Windows partition for windows :P and then c drive for kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                              X