This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspend to disk breaks Internet connection

I haven't tried to suspend to disk for a number of weeks, since I upgraded to 8.10. Formerly, it wasn't working. But I just recently noticed that I now can attach shortcuts to application programs to launch them (cool!), and after this morning's rather large list of updates was processed when I booted this morning, I decided to try the suspend thing. My findings:

Suspend to both disk and ram works great, now. But, suspend to disk breaks my Internet connection (broadband) irretrievably. I cannot get email. Restarting my email client has not effect. Still broken. I have to do a fresh boot to restore the connection. This problem does not occur with a suspend to RAM.

I'm sorry to see this, as a suspend to disk is far more useful to me.

Anyone else see this issue? I'm thinking of filing a bug.

t.

Re: suspend to disk breaks Internet connection

I have an Acer Inspire one that had a similar problem. The solution involved adding a script to the power management that executed ifdown/ifup on the corresponding events. Could that help you?

Comment

Weeeeeel. Maybe. Someone would have to show me how to do it.

BUT...I shouldn't have to do this. If the exit menu offer a "suspend" to whatever option, it's a mislead if things doesn't come back unbroken. For Pete's sake I'm NO systems programmer - why should *I* fix this. Hence my thought - "this is a blippin' bug". Still think that.

Comment

And you're right, but also very lucky so far if you have not had to resort to any hacks with previous versions or this one. With 8.10 I've had to fix using those kind of hacks a lot of issues that simply were not there in 8.05. And I still have to found how to convince my monitor to turn off itself after some time of system inactivity (enabling power management in 8.05 was enough)

Paying the price of being free and at the cutting edge, I guess.

The script I found was here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne Quoting from the original, you have to create as root the file /etc/pm/sleep.d/00wireless with the following
        Code:
        #
        # Restart WiFi interface after suspension
        #

case "$1" in
            resume|thaw)
                /sbin/ifconfig wifi0 down
                /sbin/ifconfig wifi0 up
            ;;
            *)
            ;;
        esac

exit $?
        Replace the wifi0 interface with the one you're regularly using. Don't forget to make it executable:
        Code:
        sudo chmod u+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/00wireless

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
          And you're right, but also very lucky so far if you have not had to resort to any hacks with previous versions or this one. With 8.10 I've had to fix using those kind of hacks a lot of issues that simply were not there in 8.05. And I still have to found how to convince my monitor to turn off itself after some time of system inactivity (enabling power management in 8.05 was enough)
          Yeah, I've been lucky. 8.10 always worked OK for me, and has just gotten better. I very much enjoy using it, and have no regrets about doing the update.

Paying the price of being free and at the cutting edge, I guess.

The script I found was here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne Quoting from the original, you have to create as root the file /etc/pm/sleep.d/00wireless with the following
          Code:
          #
          # Restart WiFi interface after suspension
          #

case "$1" in
              resume|thaw)
                  /sbin/ifconfig wifi0 down
                  /sbin/ifconfig wifi0 up
              ;;
              *)
              ;;
          esac

exit $?
          Replace the wifi0 interface with the one you're regularly using. Don't forget to make it executable:
          Code:
          sudo chmod u+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/00wireless
          Replace the "interface". I don't even know what this means at any level of specificity that might be useful. I just know that my email client cannot connect to the internet after a restoration from a disk hibernation. If you can direct me to what I need without undue additional effort, fine. Otherwise, I'll wait. I'm doing OK with things as they are.

Comment

Working...
          X