This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to mount my SD card as HD2

i need help to mount my SD card as hd2, so i can install grub on it??

Re: how to mount my SD card as HD2

You've got about 3 problems to deal with on this, and you probably need to review this, assuming your SD card reader is of the USB persuasion:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

but I think you can do what you want to do, more or less. I'll see if I can break it down.

1. Your SD card is a "removable storage device", which means it gets looked at by the HAL differently than internal hard disk drives. What kind of card reader are you using -- is it USB? Even if it's build into the computer, many of them are actually a USB reader, for example the one on my Asus Eee PC is that way. Being a USB device means it gets assigned its device ID at boot time, in a rather random fashion. So, you can't use the /dev/shx or /dev/hdx method to mount it, because it doesn't have such an ID, or perhaps I should say it doesn't have a permanent device ID, only a UUID.

2. The other bad news is, it's possible to set it up to mount automatically but if your computer hibernates or you use suspend to RAM, then USB devices get disconnected and aren't there any more when you wake up the computer. So, you need to understand and be prepared to cope with that. You can just run
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    after waking it up, but you have to do it manually every time. I'm aware of one case, using Debian, where a guy has compiled a special kernel to get around this issue, but that's going way deeper than you appear to be working.

3. So, assuming you want to boot from it and have it mounted automatically, you'll need to set it up to be mounted "by-UUID", and your BIOS must allow booting from USB devices, and you must set the boot device sequence to put the USB device in first place. Assuming it is already partitioned and formatted the way you want it, run
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    and determine the UUID that is assigned to it, and use that ID to make a mount line in your /etc/fstab file, similar to the ones for other internal drives, but observing the filesystem format (vfat, probably).

I hope this is enough to get you started. Don't forget that UUIDs are changed when you format, so it has to be formatted first, then mounted, then you can install on it and write Grub to it.

Comment

Working...
    X