This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice

Yesterday I ordered a new laptop, and would like to install Kubuntu 8.10 on it. The specs are:

HEWLETT PCKARD HP Pavilion HDX 18t
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
    4GB DDR2 System Memory
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    500GB SATA HARD DRIVE
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)

I have downloaded, and burned, the 8.10 (64 bit) distro, which is what I had planned on using.

I have been using both Ubuntu and Kubuntu in with VMware on my current desktop system. I really like, and prefer the KDE interface over the GNOME version, which is why I chose Kubuntu as my primary OS for the new system.

Based on the listed hardware, does anyone see a problem in my future? Anything I need to be aware of, or research? Im not looking for a step by step guide, or to have my hand held, just whether or not there are specific issues I should be looking into now, before I sit down and start the install process.

Re: Looking for advice

Actually, I am a bit concerned this thing could fly 8)

Ok, now that I am done drooling, let me say:

* The best way to know is to run from the live CD, and make sure everything is ok, before installing.

* You may have to use the slower "nv" open source driver at first, and install the NVIDIA binary after you refresh the repositories to have the latest updates (NVIDIA released divers supporting ubuntu 8.10 a little after the release)

* I am not sure about the mini-card. You'll see in the live CD whether it's supported out of the box. Do you have a wired (ethernet) connection to use temporarily in that case?

Congrats on the new toy!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Actually, I am a bit concerned this thing could fly 8)

Ok, now that I am done drooling, let me say:

* The best way to know is to run from the live CD, and make sure everything is ok, before installing.
      I have already burned the DVD

I have a little experience with Ubuntu 7.10, so I had planned on starting with the live CD/DVD and playing it by ear. Was just trying to get the (nearly inevitable) researching the one or two little "nags" that always pop up done ahead of time. I was concerned that some devices might not be supported by the live CD, and wouldn't know if there would be full support until I had an actual install (working under the assumption that the live CD has minimal support to ensure compatability with most systems).

* You may have to use the slower "nv" open source driver at first, and install the NVIDIA binary after you refresh the repositories to have the latest updates (NVIDIA released divers supporting ubuntu 8.10 a little after the release)
      This was my primary concern, I had heard there were issues with NVidia drivers and KDE 4.1 (or was it the actual kernel used in Kubuntu 8.10?). It sounds (if I'm reading your statement correctly) like the latest driver works well, and it is just a matter of getting 8.10 installed then updating?

* I am not sure about the mini-card. You'll see in the live CD whether it's supported out of the box. Do you have a wired (ethernet) connection to use temporarily in that case?
      Yes, I have a hard connection. I will have my desktop LAN'ed to it as well as a world connection.

Congrats on the new toy!
      Thank you

Sort of a present to myself. Initially I wanted something I could travel with. I'm in the process of writing a book, and wanted a laptop for this purpose. I started with a minimal system, damn those "configure and buy" options! lol

Comment

I know, you start clicking around, and next thing you know you are down a couple grand

This was my primary concern, I had heard there were issues with NVidia drivers and KDE 4.1 (or was it the actual kernel used in Kubuntu 8.10?).  It sounds (if I'm reading your statement correctly) like the latest driver works well, and it is just a matter of getting 8.10 installed then updating?
        Yes, well, it's prominent in the release notes. The issue is the new X-Server really, not the kernel, but same thing. In any case, NVIDIA released new drivers. The legacy driver _I_ use in my desktop is fine, and I took the time to check yours (I know, I am wonderful :P) and there seems to be a pretty recent driver for 64 bits, I am pretty sure it will work with the new X-Server (of course, we won't know until you try). You can check here:
        http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

But don't download from there, just get the updates, and install from synaptic/adept. Some people (including myself) have had best luck using the Envy-ng package, though in principle all you need is to activate the "hardware drivers".

Hope this helps, and good luck with the book! Sounds like a lovely project!

Comment

You have been a great help (and even better, have brought me much peace of mind

Thank you!

Comment

Laptop arrived, install went flawlessly. Thank you for all the help!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Working...
              X