This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Adept And Alpha 4

I'm very new to Kubuntu, but having very good success with Hardy. I decided I would try the new 8.10 Alpha 4, which became available today, on my test system. I'm having some issues, but since I'm really new with the Alpha releases, I thought I would ask here and see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues, or if possibly I have a bad install. I installed the 64 bit version.

The first thing I note is that Adept attempts to open, after entering my password, however, quickly disappears. Trying to open Adept in a terminal, I think there are some permission problems. Here is what I get in a terminal:

zenarcher@zenarcher-desktop:~$ sudo adep_manager
    [sudo] password for zenarcher:
    sudo: adep_manager: command not found
    zenarcher@zenarcher-desktop:~$ sudo adept-manager
    sudo: adept-manager: command not found
    zenarcher@zenarcher-desktop:~$ sudo adept-manager
    sudo: adept-manager: command not found
    zenarcher@zenarcher-desktop:~$ sudo adept_manager
    kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-zenarcher" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    KCrash: Application 'adept_manager' crashing...
    KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
    zenarcher@zenarcher-desktop:~$

Additionally, and some issue which may be related, in System Settings, when trying to allow autologon, I do not have, nor see the Administrator Mode, so I can make the change. Just doesn't appear.

Adept works fine when trying to open Add/Remove Package Manager, same with Synaptic.

If anyone could offer some advice or information....possibly a fix, or let me know if it looks like a bad install, I would appreciate it, as I don't have any experience with Kubuntu....except for about a week with Hardy. I've used Mandriva for a couple of years.

Apparently we don't have Atheros wireless with 8.10 yet, either, as I get no message in the Hardware notification, as I do about my Nvidia driver. Works great in Hardy, however.

So, any info on the issue with Adept would be appreciated. I don't know if it's my install, an ongoing issue with 8.10 Alpha releases, or something new with Alpha 4.

Regards,
    zenarcher

Since Adept is showing permission as a regular user, rather than root, I tried to start Adept as a regular user. Of course, I got the usual warning that nothing could be changed, however, Adept still just disappears after opening.
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Re: Question About Adept And Alpha 4

About Intrepid

It is still Alpha - many things are not implemented/are bad/are crashing...

About adept

> KubuntuIntrepidKDE4Porting
    Adept needs ported to KDE 4. Petr has made good progress on this already. It needs a solution to apt-xapian-index not creating the index at install time and a way to updated it regularly. The notifier needs rewritten as a Plasmoid applet. It should include the patches added by Kubuntu to support Apport and reboot notifier.

Adept Batch will be replaced with a PackageKit application. This means applications which use Adept Batch currently will have a way to move to using PackageKit, making their code more distribution independent.
    Not yet (?)

About Administrator Mode

> KDE 4.2 Feature Plan
    TODO - System Settings - add Administrator mode button

More links > Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Question About Adept And Alpha 4

Confirm -- Adept Manager crashes, just as described. I use Synaptic to look at the package list, but I use apt-get to install and remove packages. I just try Adept Manager once in a while to see if there's any progress toward fixing it -- sometime in the next 45 days or so it will be fixed.

Comment

Working...
      X