This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why upgrade to Intrepid?

OK those of you who know me know I'm an "early adopter" for better or worse (lol) ... but as I'm settling in to KDE 4 I'm realizing that the desktop is what affects my overall satisifaction the most. If the underlying OS is working then will I really notice a change?

So what would be my (or anyone's) reason for moving from Hardy to Intrepid?

Kev

Re: Why upgrade to Intrepid?

So what would be my (or anyone's) reason for moving from Hardy to Intrepid?
    You reallly like KDE 4.
    - Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex will be KDE 4 only release and hopefully it has good and reliable KDE 4.1.2 desktop > Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1.

You have WiFi.
    - Here David Williams is telling that > Forget the Heron; what's new in Ubuntu's Intrepid Ibex?.

You have "YEAH BABY!!" devices.
    - Here Snowhog is telling what that means > Topic: YEAH BABY!!.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yep, what Rog said.

Plus, with Intrepid there is no more KDE3.5 stuff hanging around influencing the environment -- all bugs are pure KDE 4.1!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        all bugs are pure KDE 4.1!
        LOL! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

You have "YEAH BABY!!" devices.
          - Here Snowhog is telling what that means > Topic: YEAH BABY!!.
          Hrmmm ok that did it I'm gonna grab the live CD tonight.

I have a "YEAH BABY!!" device in the form of a Logitech Wave keyboard with all kinds of extra buttons that I'd just love to be able to use - would make assigning Compiz stuff more reasonable - I might actually be able to rememeber them.

There's also my wife's MP3 player..

Kev

Comment

3G support sounds interesting. I wonder if I'll be able to use that in Canada? I'm gonna have to call Rogers - can't get to their website from work.

Kev

Comment

I think there is also better support for
              1) Newer HW of all types.
              2) Better power management.

Then again you might get both from hardy backports

Comment

Boo. I thought the daily build would be a LiveCD... it's not. Downloading Alpha3 now.

****EDIT**** Here is the Daily Live CD http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Comment

So this is me posting from within II. I like some things, but Okular still doesn't print PDFs (although it does at least try to send the job to a printer...) OK I just tried to print this page and it seems that the system just won't print at all.

ONE THING I REALLY LIKE is that my windows drive, and my second drive were both mounted automatically... something that should have worked years ago.. but I'm glad it's in and working now!

The font rendering looks pretty good... but I think this is still a little TOO alpha for me.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

Downloading Alpha3 now.
                    Bummer -- that thing is 3 weeks old, and there have been daily updates.

I wouldn't want to have to watch your computer at the first update! :P

Comment

I KNOW this should go in the networking section... but it relates to my question in the thread.

One of the articles linked was about how II is going to be better at WiFi. Now since I purchased a card that works with *buntu I haven't had much in the way of problems except weak signals. But I'm wondering if now the network card actually IN my laptop is going to work? It's propriatory and normally the restricted drivers app sees it there - leaving me with no idea of how to get the thing working.... but any chance this little sucker is gonna wake up for me if I put II on my laptop?

Kev

Comment

Kev, run
                        Code:
                        lspci
                        and let's see the make and model of the integrated wireless chip. For example if it is an Atheros, there is a new ath5k driver for it.

Comment

Bummer -- that thing is 3 weeks old, and there have been daily updates.
                          I wouldn't want to have to watch your computer at the first update!
                          There are also > Daily Builds

and the Alpha-4 is out > Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) Alpha-4 Build

Alpha-4 release notes (new features, caveats...) > Alpha

Note that, at the moment, Kubuntu "TechnicalOverview / Kubuntu" is still Alpha-3. Ubuntu "IntrepidIbex/TechnicalOverview" is Alpha-4 level
                          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            Kev, run
                            Code:
                            lspci
                            and let's see the make and model of the integrated wireless chip. For example if it is an Atheros, there is a new ath5k driver for it.
                            I had no luck in II (Alpha3) with my Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
                              Bummer -- that one is not on the list:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/About/ath5k

On the madwifi compatibility list, I see the 5414 and 5418, but not a 5416:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros

Hmmmmmm! :P

Here is good news, I think:

http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/07/ath...-linux-driver/

Comment

Working...
                              X