This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem identification and faxing

I'm running Kubuntu Intrepid on an Acer laptop. The laptop has a phone jack, and from running Vista (ugh!) I've determined that it does have a faxmodem. But how can I locate it and make Linux aware of it? lspci shows nothing relevant. I tried faxaddmodem but it can't find anything. And lshw | grep modem
    comes up empty-handed also.

Re: Modem identification and faxing

It's almost a certainty that it's a winmodem (soft(ware) modem), not a physical modem.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, it's probably a winmodem. But where do I go from there? And how do I even determine which winmodem it is? On my desktop machine, lspci identifies the winmodem -- but on my laptop, it doesn't.

Comment

From within Vista, what information does it report about the modem?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What Vista says

According to Vista, it's an "HD Audio Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP". That's probably not very helpful.

Comment

Had you typed this into google you'd have found quite a bit of information

The way I interpret it is this is a Conexant modem residing in the Audio card and (a year ago) there was a commercial driver available from http://www.linuxant.com

Have a look on the following site and specifically for the utility called Scanmodem:
            http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

This might help you to further narrow down what type of modem this is and possibly finding a free solution for your modem.

Comment

Working...
            X