Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Intrepid's sleep and suspend mode.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Intrepid's sleep and suspend mode.

Hello, All!

I upgraded to 8.10 the day it came out, and so far, there have been very few issues. The only thing that is giving me grief is the fact that my laptop cannot resume from suspend or hibernate mode.

It can enter suspend mode just fine, the power light starts blinking as normal, but when it resumes, the screen never turns back on, nor does the computer respond to any commands. It's exited from whatever hardware mode it started in, but it looks like it gets stuck halfway between sleep mode and fully on.

Same thing happens for suspend. It'll write everything to the swap, and shut down the computer, but it locks up when it tries to resume the image on the swap at boot.

I've tried googling this problem a number of different ways, and I never was able to find something that was related to my problem. I'm hoping someone will be able to help. This happens with every power manager front-end I use, so it's either the back-end or the kernel.

I'm using an HP dv9815, dual-core AMD 2 ghz processor, nvidia 7150M video card, 3 gigs of ram, and 6 gigs of swap space. All of the above modes worked without a hitch in the 8.04 install I had, so I know it's not the hardware.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

Merlin

Re: Problem with Intrepid's sleep and suspend mode.

This isn't really an answer of any kind, but how do you get your computer to suspend/hibernate in the first place? I've looked around in KDE4 and cannot for the death of me find a button that would allow me to suspend/hibernate. Going to command line simply for that seems to me like a bit of an overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesnej
      This isn't really an answer of any kind, but how do you get your computer to suspend/hibernate in the first place? I've looked around in KDE4 and cannot for the death of me find a button that would allow me to suspend/hibernate. Going to command line simply for that seems to me like a bit of an overkill.
      assuming it is a laptop, click on the power meter in the status bar, and it should pop up a window that will allow you to set option. I have mine set so that when I close the lid it suspends.
      mm0

P.S. sorry, can't help on the original question...works fine for me...
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by Nesnej
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kpowersave
        When you run Alt-F2 "kpowersave" it parks a little icon on your panel. Left-click to open it and change the power scheme and CPU freq scheme -- the setting choices are fairly obvious. Right-click it to choose "S2RAM" (my favorite) or S2Disk (never have figured out how to make that work) etc.

Of course, you need a respectable-sized swap space to use these .....

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the reasons i still stuck with the old 'double your ram' paradigm for linux. I have 3 gigs of ram, and 6 gigs of swap. So suspend/hibernate wasn't a problem. Until now, at least.

Merlin

Comment

Working...
          X