Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] KDM no longer installed. How do I fix?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] KDM no longer installed. How do I fix?

Hi there,

I was removing some packages and somehow my kdm became a broken package. I tried to purge it and reinstall it but this didn't work and now I have no kdm.

I can boot into the terminal via recovery mode but not sure what to do from there.

I have tried

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get install kdm

but neither of these seem to work. I assume I am not connect to the internet when I log on in recovery mode.

Although I do have the Kubuntu 8.04 cd available. Can I install the required files from that? If so, how.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I can startx from terminal, but I cannot get Knetwork Manager going nor mount the cdrom. Any suggestions?

Re: KDM no longer installed. How do I fix?

In newer Kubuntu there is a rescue choice of "root shell with network". If yo have that use it. If not you should be able to do a standard boot and if KDM is not installed you will either get GDM or a terminal login. In either case you should have network. Login and check you sources (/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/) for any non-standard sources like ppa sources. Comment them.

Then run
    sudo aptitude update
    and
    sudo aptitude install kde kdm
    . That should get you back to something. If you are using a ppa to install newer KDE you might then have to reenable that and try again.

Comment

Re: KDM no longer installed. How do I fix?

Thanks for the reply.

I followed your suggestions and Kubuntu is working. Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
      X