X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound problems with multimedia [SOLVED]

Hello fellow Kubuntu users.

I am having an issue with ALSA or Pulseaudio after the upgrade to Hardy. Amarok, Kaffeine, Flash and VLC seem to only work if I set the audio driver to OSS. I would prefer to use ALSA, but I just cant get any sound out of anything with ALSA. I wish PulseAudio was not an option in this distro, because it seems to just confuse the whole matter. So anyway, here it is....OSS works...but ALSA and PulseAudio will not work in Amarok, VLC, Kaffeine, and FlashPlayer. Any ideas?

Re: Sound problems with multimedia

Exactly what sound card/chip do you have in your PC? Open a console and type:
    Code:
    lspci | grep Audio
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here it is:

Code:
      $ lspci | grep Audio
      00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 09)
      04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)
      Thanks!

Comment

Snowhog, my friend, looks like you had the right idea on how to go about this problem. The output showed that I had both onboard and PCI sound cards being used. I disabled the onboard sound card, and rebooted. Sound is back! Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Comment

Matrix:Module-ens1371 - ALSA Project
          and
          HowToSetupSoundCards

Comment

Two sound cards in one system. Yes, that will cause problems. Disabling the onboard sound card usually does fix the problem. Good job.

Comment

Working...
            X