This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox OSE USB enabling...

Hi all, new to the forum and also to Linux after being a Windows "believer" and engineer for 14 years. Am loving Linux so far and its been a steep learning curve so far.

I have hit a problem getting USB enabled for VirtualBox OSE. I see on a simple Google search its a well documented issue but all the "fixes" seem to slightly vary, especially when it comes to what to add to which file and what group ID to put in on the fstab file.

Anyway, I am now at the point where when I launch the virtual machine, in the Devices menu I can see USB Devices listed, but when I go to it, it states no devices were found.

Any suggestions? Happy to post listings of any files required.

Many Thanks

Paul.

Re: VirtualBox OSE USB enabling...

I have been using Vbox for some time now and love it. I also spent time on google to get this working and here is what I do. I have run through this a few time so to me it's not so bad.

Now I have access to my usb devices, but you have to enable them for the vm before you boot it.

Other than this I love it. I also use a share folder so i can move file between the gust os with ease.

Noel Vh

Code:
    VirtualBox Software Install, and configure
    [url]http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/12/installing-virtualbox-with-usb-support.html[/url]
    Step 1: Download and Install VirtualBox

Step 2: Setup User groups & USB support
    *Add yourself as a virtual box user
    In a terminal type:
    sudo adduser username vboxusers
    You must replace userame with your user name!
    Or you can do this with the GUI user manager.

*Add USB support to you fstab file
    In a terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    And paste this line to the end of your fstab
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1001,devmode=664 0 0

*Enable USB
    In a terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    You need to look for this section:
    #
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    And delete all the # shown, it should look exactly like this.

#Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work

mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Find your vboxusers number
    In a terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/group

Look for this, the number following it is your vboxusers number
    vboxusers:x:NUMBER

Next you have to add a line to your /etc/fstab to allow usb mounting
    In a terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Add this line:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid= enter vboxusers number HERE,devmode=664 0 0

Allow access to /proc/bus/usb/
    in a teminal type:
    sudo chown -R root:vboxusers /proc/bus/usb

Once you Log out or reboot, you can start VirtualBox (Applications>System Tools>Innotek VirtualBox)

Vbox mount share folder in windows guest (VM machine).
    net use x: \\vboxsvr\your share folder name
    The your share folder name in a folder you create in the host machine, so enter that folder name in the net use command.
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Re: VirtualBox OSE USB enabling...

Thanks for the help Noelvh, I'll keep those instructions just in case. I've solved the problem by a more traditional method, I opened Virtual Box yesterday and got a prompt telling me a new update, V2.04 was available and did I want to download.

I downloaded the .deb package, uninstalled and installed this new one and hey presto, USB support from the Settings menu. Although now it doesnt say that its the OSE version.

I can now use my IPod with ITunes which is really the only thing I was missing from Windows XP.

Thanks

Paul.

Comment

Working...
      X