X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image format JPG 2000

Hi Everybody,

I was given a CD with some images on it for use on a web site I maintain. Just a routine thing, or should have been, but the images are in .JPG 2000 format. This was not a problem as Uncle Mac did the business and I saved them as bog standard .jpg's.

I am however curious, as I have not come across the jpg 2000 format before. Knowing the origin of the pictures I can not imagine that they were put through any processing and were copied straight from the camera. So is this a new format that can be expected more in the future (all my photo equipment is 'ordinary jpg' or RAW) and if it is to be the new thing, will the Linux tools be able to deal with it, GIMP Gwenview and so on?

I realise the second part of the question should be more directed to the appropriate developers but I hang round here mostly.... and maybe I should post this on the Intrepid forum ....

I ramble, any comments guys?

Roy

Re: Image format JPG 2000

I remember coming across this format years ago, when it was supposed to be the 'next big thing' that was going to supersede jpeg. Haven't seen it in ages.

Gwenview supports it as does GIMP I believe. You may have to install the jasper package (not sure if it's installed by default).

Comment

Re: Image format JPG 2000

Thanks krazy,

The words "years ago" explains everything, having made discrete enquiries as to the true author of the images it is likely that the camera is at least 8 years old and counting. Volunteers, don't you just love em.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Working...
      X