This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine, Office 2003 and Mathtype

Has anybody been able to get Office 2003 and Mathtype (5 or 6) to cooperate under wine 1.0?

If I install Mathtype 5, Word doesn't see that it is installed and is therefore useless. If I install Mathtype 6, Word starts giving me macro issues, but Mathtype is installed and the toolbar and menu listing is available in Word. I've tried changing the security setting for the macros, but still I get errors.

I need to use Word as everybody else in the engineering world uses it (or LaTeX which I have not experimented with yet). I have Office working fine using Virtualbox, but I would prefer to use it in Wine.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Re: Wine, Office 2003 and Mathtype

I need to use Word as everybody else in the engineering world uses it
    Sorry to say but that's rubbish.
    These days every academic worth his salt would publish in the odf format if not using LaTex.
    And odf is best supported by Open Office.
    Open Office is not a perfect replacement for Microsoft Office but as long as you're not into exotic (like deviant) formatting it saves and displays .doc pretty well.

Comment

Microsoft Office 2003 will run under PlayOnLinux (a Wine offshoot)
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

have you tried the latest development version of wine at winehq.org?

according to appdb.winehq.org, mathtype 6 and word 2003 don't play nicely together in wine 1.0

Comment

I need to use Word as everybody else in the engineering world uses it
          Sorry to say but that's rubbish.
          These days every academic worth his salt would publish in the odf format if not using LaTex.
          Every journal I have ever tried submitting work to only accepts LaTeX or Word. I suppose it depends on the academic area, so it's not rubbish. I agree with you that most people in academia are using LaTeX, but I haven't had time to explore LaTeX yet, and odf is not accepted by the journals I use.

I'll check it out, thanks.

according to appdb.winehq.org, mathtype 6 and word 2003 don't play nicely together in wine 1.0
          I must have missed that while I was looking through my search and explains why it's not working.
          Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

I'll check it out, thanks.
            I installed PlayOnLinux and I am still getting the macro security issues. It seems that Office is not able to retrieve the security certificate that Mathtype sends, and thus errors occur when trying to insert Mathtype OLE's.

I've also tried newer versions of Wine (1.1.2) and I'm still getting the same issue. Now I've seen bugs posted in the Wine forums about this, so I guess it will be addressed in due time.

Comment

Working...
            X