This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Guidance

Hello all my first post here. I am a newbie with Linux,Ubuntu,Kubuntu & Networking Web servers old hat with MSDOS,Windows,Personal (public) Web Pages, Dreamweaver, programming Paradox databases, Delphi Language. I am attempting my first commercial (private/public) web page for the company I work for. It has lead me into using Apache Server,MySQL & PHP, Javascript. Under Windows XP I have the web site ready to go live unto a commercial server when I got the virus on my system. I didn't loose anything but my supervisor is hesitant about me reinstalling my web development back on our CAD system. This lead me to trying to build a in office web server running Linux. I first installed Ubuntu 8.04 as a LAMP server got the internet connection working, then figured out by not knowing anything about Linux command prompt that I would never get anywhere with installing my existing web pages & development software. So yesterday I installed Webmin and have access to the Ubunto LAMP Server through my browser on another networked XP Box. I then installed Kubuntu to allow me to deal with my inefficiencies with Linux and just have a better understanding of what Linux is capable of doing.

My question is do I need to continue development of my web pages in Dreamweaver under XP or try to find an equivalent software for Kubuntu and how do I load my existing web pages to the LAMP server?

Any guidance links or general pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank ya'll

JKH Designs
    Reynolds, GA

Re: General Guidance

Quanta Plus is an excellent program - in my opinion.

It is in the repositories (via Adept)

It also installs KlinkStatus to check your links either on your HD or website, and when you first start it up, it tells you the other programs which it could use if you had them, a simple matter of copy&pasting the names into Adept.

Edited to add:

Up-loading is simple, split Konqueror into two panes, one for your file-system, log-in to the server in the other pane, then drag-&-drop.

Edited again to add:
    Their website is here: http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/

and Welcome.

Comment

Agree with aged hippy regarding Quanta Plus, would not be without it.

I subscribibe to Linux Journal and in the July 2008 edition they had an article on how to use Quanta which may be a bit too simple (?) for you given your experience, but it should be on the LJ web site (www.linuxjournal.com) by now where you can read it for free as in beer. Cheers (hic pardon)

Roy

Comment

^^ thanks, theread.
        It is an excellent program, and easy-to-use.

@ JKH Designs,
        As you're new to Kubuntu -- without wishing to seem patronising -- to install a program via Adept, click on ->KMenu ->System ->Adept Manager type your password, then type the package you require into the search box.

Always, always, click the Preview Changes button before Applying Changes.
        Sometimes when you remove some packages, they are liable to also remove the KDE Desktop....

Believe me, i learnt the hard way.

Comment

If you have dreamweaver, you can install it on the Linux environment.
          First, install a program called "wine" (you can find it via the adept manager). This is an emulator (yes linux goeroes, I know ).

Insert the cd-rom of dreamweaver, open the setup.exe with the wine program (should be in the menu), and Dreamweaver installs in Linux.

Comment

A good alternative to konqueror as your ftp client is filezilla. I'm a bit confused as to which of your machines is the webserver, but I think you just need to setup an ftp server on that machine and connect to it from kubuntu to transfer files.

Comment

A special thanks to Aged Hippie,theread,mjtolsma, & Nate who has been gracious and replied to my first post. I have just installed Quanta Plus, Kompare,KXSLDbg,Kimagemapeditor and Cervisia thought I would give them a go. The install went well, I may have to have some more help on getting to know them.

Nate,

sorry about the confusion earlier, I had the new commercial/private web site built and running under a WinXP Apache server but the virus killed the system. I had everything backed up so it was not to bad. The Web server I am trying to build has just been loaded with Ubuntu 8.04 server and I then installed Webmin, and KDE. I really think I am going to like the Kubuntu if I ever get use to it.

Tell me more about filezilla I've never used it. I use CUTE FTP or the one built in dreamweaver. If I load it on my XP box where I have the web pages and other data here at home can I log into my Kubuntu box? Does Kubuntu have to have filezilla? They both are here at home on my LAN connected thru a cat 5 cable. Do I have to designate a particular place in Kubuntu for the files to be transfered to? What directory is a good one or do I just make up one?

Thanks again for all of ya'lls help.

Comment

You're Welcome.

You can also up-load with Quanta Plus, but i don't know how to, as i said, i just drag-and-drop.

Anything for an easy life.

Comment

Working...
                X