Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A file copy function that verifies data integrity?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A file copy function that verifies data integrity?

I need to copy several thousand small files from a dvd to my 16 GB sdhc card. Problem is, the card is pretty much crap, no matter what I'm writing it to on any operating system there can be problems in the copied data not being the same as the original data, and that's in addition to a write speed that's very lower than it should be. All in all it makes me think there's something wrong with it, and not the OS as I'd originally thought. But anyway, data can be read off of it just fine, so for now I use it. I'd like to know if there's a way I can do these copies where I wouldn't have to individually run something like md5sum on each one of the thousands of files I'd like to copy it to in order to verify everything's been copied properly. Preferably something that would just be a plugin to konqueror or dolphin that would add 'verified copy' to the list of possible actions I can do to a file.

Re: A file copy function that verifies data integrity?

There is a very high chance that you've got a "fake" 16G SDHC card.

A well-known technology is to "disguise" a 1G card into 2G card, the card has pysically 1G storage but the firmware reports itself as a 2G card. When you write something to 0G-1G area it might seem okay, but when the data happen to be write into the 1G-2G it would be corrupt.

So I think you card may actually be a 4G or 8G card and the firmware is "hacked" to report itself as 16G card.

Solution 1: try to get a new firmware which has the right version (8G or 4G).

Solution 2: blame your provider for the "fake" card.

Comment

Could be hacked, who knows. It's an Adata card I got from Newegg for what it's worth, and I've filled it up past 8 Gb before, but I suppose anything's possible.

Anyway that doesn't really answer the question I've got, namely a verified copy function. I know there's gotta be one around here somewhere for linux, that doesn't involve making a giant hash for every file that I've got, I just need a name so I can install it. I'll deal with the card when I have money to replace it. As far as the card's firmware, I just went to adata's website, they don't have anything like that for this card.

Comment

tar is all i would know to use. obviously this depends on what you are going to use to retrieve the data, - only one hash.
        - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Working...
        X