X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating to KDE 4.1

Hi,

I am trying to update from KDE 4.0.3 to KDE 4.1 by following this guide : http://kubuntulove.wordpress.com/200...kubuntu-gutsy/

Now when I try to enter this command : sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

I get a command not found error.

The same thing happens if I try kdesu.

I also tried opening the file with kedit and nano but both showed the file as being empty.

Anyone have any idea on how I could manage to modify this file with root privileges ?

Thanks !

Re: Updating to KDE 4.1

Open a console and navigate to /etc/apt and do a listing (ls -l sources.*). Is the file listed, and does it have a file size greater than 0? Are there any backup copies? I can't believe that the file doesn't exist or it is empty.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Of course the file exists. I can navigate to it by using dolphin and opening it with Kate. I has a lot of other entries in it but I can't add any without root privileges.

The problem is that I can't open kate with those privileges and that i can't open the file with anything else or it shows up as being empty...

Comment

You can shutdown and restart. Boot into recovery mode. When at the command line, you will be working as root. You can use the non-GUI vi editor to edit the file.

1. cd /etc/apt
        2. vi sources.list
        3. use your down arrow to get to the 'bad' line
        4. press i to enter insert mode
        5. press # and space
        6. press the esc key to return to command mode
        7. press :wq (this writes the changes and quits the vi editor)
        8. type shutdown -r now to reboot

Comment

If you are already using KDE3, you can simply add the KDE4 repositories to sources.lst. The easiest way is in Kpackage. You can find the repositories here. After adding the repositories, just refresh the package list (sudo aptitude update) and it will suggest the updates. There are about 70 of them.
          ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            You can shutdown and restart. Boot into recovery mode. When at the command line, you will be working as root. You can use the non-GUI vi editor to edit the file.

1. cd /etc/apt
            2. vi sources.list
            3. use your down arrow to get to the 'bad' line
            4. press i to enter insert mode
            5. press # and space
            6. press the esc key to return to command mode
            7. press :wq (this writes the changes and quits the vi editor)
            8. type shutdown -r now to reboot
            Thanks it worked !

I was able to modify the file but in the end I wasn't able to upgrade from 4.0.3 to 4.1.

I think i'll just give up for now on this whole update thing. Not worth the hassle i guess...

Comment

You're welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

The instructions for upgrading to KDE 4.1 - the ones that work - can be found here.

Comment

Working...
              X