Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help, synaptic package manager is stuck!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help, synaptic package manager is stuck!

hello all, new member to the forums and new user of Kubuntu. I am currently running the KDE 4 remix of 8.0.4 and am enjoying the experience as a whole, and while the KDE 4.1 I'm using is a little unstable, what really bugs me is that synaptic wont finish installing packages. The software will download the packages just fine but it hangs up at the very end of the installation process. I have to either kill synaptic or log out/log in to get it to stop. I think synaptic is installing the packages ok, it just isn't shutting down for some reason. I have seen this bug mentioned a couple other times in the forums, but with no real resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated cause I really like synaptic compared to adept manager. Thanks.

Will

Re: help, synaptic package manager is stuck!

have u opened up the terminal part - click the arrow, it could be asking you a question, and type y for yes and n for no.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

and while the KDE 4.1 I'm using is a little unstable, what really bugs me is that synaptic wont finish installing packages.
      I had that problem with remix kde4.0.5 and after upgrading to kde4 beta1. After yesterdays upgrade to kde4 beta2 synaptic behaves again
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This happened to me last night after all the updates went out. Doing it from command line gives (at work so can't remember exact error messages) errors about certain files being locked. Checked there were no other package manager things running and to my knowledge (which is limited) there weren't

After trying about 5 times to upgrade, i ended up rebooting and coming back to no KDE session available (something along the lines of a single box popped up saying kde4settingsmanager is not available)

I decided that, as I REALLY needed to be online last night to do some work, that I'd just do a quick wipe of the pc, re-install kubuntu remix and then just let the updates run on a clean install. Same problem again, totally lost my X session this time round though and couldn't lot in whatsoever.

Had to reboot into liveCD to get my work done, my pc is still sat there... dead as a doornail, I hope I don't have to go back to gnome (or KDE3) until .. whatever it is.. is sorted

Any advice.. and sorry for the vagueness, as I said, I am not at home now..
        My Projects:<br /><br />www.demonwar.net<br />www.battlegroundsonline.net

Comment

I had Adept throwing up on me today and the conflicting package was gwenview-kde4. A simple
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove gwenview-kde4
          might sort things out for you.

And if anything like that happens again, first try a
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install -f
          That usually fixes things or tells you what is wrong.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

thanks for the replies everyone, am going to try and update and see if that fixes synaptic.

Comment

well...I have been trying to update kubuntu all night, and I cant get adept to download. It keeps getting stuck downloading the oxygen icons. Maybe that server is really full right now or something...will keep trying.

Comment

well, starting from scratch, i got a decent up-to-date installation of Kubuntu Remix doing the following:

Install Kubuntu
                Switch to terminal at login screen (Alt+F2... etc.)
                Stop KDM (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop)
                apt-get update
                apt-get dist-upgrade
                apt-get update
                apt-get upgrade
                apt-get update
                apt-get dist-upgrade

And basically kept doing that until i went through a full cycle and there was nothing left to install. Then rebooted, everything was peachy. I'm sure all of that wasn't required, but it worked for me so I thought I'd share it.
                My Projects:<br /><br />www.demonwar.net<br />www.battlegroundsonline.net

Comment

Maybe that server is really full right now or something...will keep trying.
                  That is definitely possible
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

ok...finally finished with the update and there are no broken packages, no upgradeable packages etc.. Synaptic is still messed up so I guess I am back to square one.

Comment

Working...
                    X