This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Associations Are No Longer Working

Previously, when surfing the web if I clicked on a link to a .pdf file then that file would automatically open in KPDF Viewer. Now, I'm prompted to save it and I then have to open Konqueror and browse out to the saved file to open it.

I looked in the file associations menu in Konqueror's settings and nothing seems to be wrong there. KPDF Viewer is at the top of the list.

The file associations for jpeg images and videos are also broken. How do I resolve this?

Thanks,
    Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: File Associations Are No Longer Working

I looked in the file associations menu in Konqueror's settings and nothing seems to be wrong there. KPDF Viewer is at the top of the list.

The file associations for jpeg images and videos are also broken. How do I resolve this?

It could be that file association file in the /home/USER/.kde/share/config/ is damaged. You could try to rename ~/.kde/share/config/profilerc. Log out, log in. There shoud be new clean profilerc file. Any help ?

Link:
    > File Associations
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for responding.

I tried your suggestion but it did not help. I'm still being prompted to save the file same as before.

Is there something else I can try?

Mike
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Is this KDE 3.5 or KDE 4 ?

Hmm - are the "The file associations for jpeg images and videos" still broken ?

Is there differences between your profilerc file and kubuntu default profilerc file ?

Kubuntu default is in the /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/profilerc.

Comparing, in the konsole:
        Code:
        kompare ~/.kde/share/config/profilerc /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/profilerc
        man kompare
        kompare - a KDE GUI for viewing differences between files

Maybe reinstalling kubuntu-default-settings and manually copying the profilerc file in the ~/.kde/share/config/ helps (just quessing ). Default profilerc file is from the package: kubuntu-default-settings.

kubuntu-default-settings
        Default settings and artwork for the Kubuntu desktop

This package contains the default settings used by Kubuntu. It also includes artwork and Kubuntu branding.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by mechanism
          Previously, when surfing the web if I clicked on a link to a .pdf file then that file would automatically open in KPDF Viewer. Now, I'm prompted to save it and I then have to open Konqueror and browse out to the saved file to open it.

The file associations for jpeg images and videos are also broken
          you are not alone ...
          <http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3094690.0>
          WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Comment

Working...
          X