This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox problems with new kernel [SOLVED]

Installed new kernel 2.6.24-17-generic and VirtualBox does not work under it though all other programs seem fine as of now.

Anyone else having this problem?

Starting with old kernel 2.6.24-16-generic makes VirtualBox fully functional again.
    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: VirtualBox problems with new kernel

I'm not totally sure, but I think you have to rebuild the kernel modules for VB when a kernel is upgraded. It seems that I have had that issue, but is kind of second nature that I don't quite remember.

Edit: That's only if the Guest is Linux and it had a kernel update. Sorry.

Have you tried Re-Installing VB. Which version are you using? They now have v.1.6.

Comment

Yes. What version of VB are you using? The ose version in the repos does not have USB support.

These should Help:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/747
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
      http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007...-gutsy-gibbon/

Comment

To get it to connect in Windows, go to the Guest's Menu Bar and click on Devices --> USB Devices and click on the appropriate entry. Thumbdrives will work, but the Guest will not see them until you tell the VB system to "show it" to the Guest. You could also, before starting the guest, plug the thumbdrive in, go to the Settings for the VM and clcik on USB. There you can add that device to the list of USB Devices you want visible to the Guest all the time at start up.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the replies; just read the replies. Let me try reinstalling VB under the new kernel and see how I fare.
          The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumstate
            Originally posted by BeepBeep
            ... and see how I fare.
            That is the first time I have ever seen 'fare' spelled correctly online for this usage! Can't be an American.
            Thanks.

Sri Lankan by birth, American by domicile and current dual citizenship; educated entirely in the Queen's English including undergraduate studies in the U.K.

However, cannot claim to use the Queen's English anymore since I am now compelled by factors of residency to use American English.

Comment

Installed the new updates that were available for VB since the new kernel was installed.

No resolution of the problem.

I get an error message unless I boot with the older kernel version that came along with the Hardy 8.10 release of Kubuntu.

I did try reinstalling all VB modules in use and still no luck. VB starts but when I start the Win-XP VM I get an error message and that is as far as I get to go.

Comment

Does the error give any specifics?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                  Does the error give any specifics?
                  This is the error message I get.

[img width=400 height=308]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1740/pclos01ew7.jpg[/img]

Comment

If you got this from the repos, make sure that you re-Install everything associated with it by telling it to re-install them via Adept Manager. It could also be that they have not updated those Kernel Modules yet in the Repos to match the new kernel.

Comment

Maybe these will help:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=249

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux...20instructions

Comment

It could also be that they have not updated those Kernel Modules yet in the Repos to match the new kernel.
                        I did reinstall but suspect that what you have stated is the case; maybe the newer version for the more current kernel will follow shortly.

Thanks!

Comment

Just did a bunch of updates and had to rebuild the kernel modules for my install. The following was run in Konsole and had everything back up and running beautifully. Hope this helps.

Code:
                          sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Comment

Code:
                            sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
                            I get following message when I run it as suggested.

Usage: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv {start|stop|restart|status}

When I ran it as :
                            sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start

I get following message:

* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
                            * No suitable module for running kernel found.

NOTE : Problem no longer exists with kernel 2.6.24-17-generic as a couple of recent updates since this thread was started appeared to fix it. Now having same issue with current kernel 2.6.24-18-generic.

Comment

Hmmmm.. Then this is definitely an issue with the OSE version. Have you tried going to VB's website and downloading the other? It definitely is worth it since it has USB support. They have a DEB package and installs wonderfully.

Comment

Working...
                              X