This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

package state

Due to recent problems with hot plugging USB pen drives, I have decided I want to be able to create a file with the current state of all installed packages.

In rooting around I discover:

aptitude-create-state-bundle

and it's companion program

aptitude-run-state-bundle

They sound like I can run the first to create a file containing the current state of the installed packages.

I can run the second program if need be, say after doing a native install from the Live CD on a different or the same machine, to recreate the exact same state of installed packages.

Is this true??

If true, then I want to ask what options I would run on the second program that would get passed to aptitude to download and install only those packages not installed from the Live CD.

If this is possible, then I will sleep a lot easier knowing that I can recreate the package state without a lot of guessing and hunting around and asking a lot of bothersome questions to a lot of people. Simply run the first program periodically and store the created file away in a safe place off the machine.

Re: package state

See this:

integr8e
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089241.0
    (esp first post)
    Is that part of what you need?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: package state

That looks to accomplish what I want also.

If the "aptitude-create-state-bundle" and "aptitude-run-state-bundle" do the same thing it would seem to be a cleaner solution.

But then maybe I'm biased since I found the one and not the other.

What I am not really sure of is: does it do the same thing?

Comment

Working...
      X