This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheros 5007 Wireless Device Keeps Disappearing On Reboot

Hey all, I have an Acer Aspire 5720 laptop that uses an Atheros wireless card. I have had to follow another post here to get it working originally. I use the madwifi driver, install it, reboot, etc. After downloading the driver I install with these commands:
    cd madwifi-*
    make
    sudo make install
    echo ath_pci | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    sudo reboot

Upon reboot after installing the driver I see the ath0 in my iwconfig, and am able to connect to wireless networks fine. Also, I use Wicd to manage my wireless network.

It works fine until I have to reboot my PC. Every time I reboot the wireless driver disappears. Doing a 'iwconfig' shows:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Where I should have an ath0 for the wireless. Each time, I have to use 'make' to reinstall the driver, reboot, then it is recognized just fine.

Is there something I am missing to get this driver to be recognized each time on boot? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Atheros 5007 Wireless Device Keeps Disappearing On Reboot

do

sudo apt-get install checkinstall

then

cd into the madwifi folder,

./configure

make

sudo checkinstall -D make install

to of course make a deb file u can install and remove later from adept, synaptic, if the ./configure fails, install build-essential and if it fails again, get any -dev versions of any libs it asks for and ./configure until u don't get any errors, etc..
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I used checkinstall and made the deb and it shows up in Synaptic as installed. I will try this out and see if it sticks on reboots.

Comment

I think this is a but in the 20~ kernel - try restarting with the 19 kernel
        Now how do I log a bug

Comment

Working...
        X