This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed attempt to configure sharing on folder

Hi, was amusing myself with the idea of trying to enable some network folder sharing on a home folder. I right clicked on it, went to properties, and clicked the share tab and finally the button labled "configure sharing". I got a window that poped up that said "command not found".

I'm running KDE 4.05 in Hardy.

So I guess something isn't installed..., but what?

Re: Failed attempt to configure sharing on folder

Interesting that the tab is enabled, but the routine that describes any problems would be missing. Still... KDE4 is "just out of the gate" and may still need a bit of fixing-up.

What I experienced doing the same thing in KDE 3.5.9 warned me that "NFS or SMB server must be installed".

So, what you probably need (since KDE 4.0 is reluctant to tell you) is a file-system server. (just software, noooo... you don't need to purchase a new machine)

Depending on which machines you intend to share with, this could be regular NFS server or the Windows-compatible service, SMB.

_________________________________________________I f you intend to share with other Linux systems, use NFS. (native to Linux, easily configured)
    _________________________________________________I f you intend to share with Windows or other systems, use SMB. (merely compatible, but a de-facto 'standard')_______________________________________ __________

NOTE: Making a folder 'shared' makes it accessible on your network, and possibly to anyone else connected to that network!
    (In other words; unless you have a properly configured router, you may be sharing files with anyone on the Internet with the know-how of getting to them!)
    This can become a major security concern on your system if you're unsure of what you're doing.

With that in mind, there may be a larger decision to consider... is sharing the right thing to do for your situation? Is it just a matter of transferring a few files now and again, or is there a real need to have a significant part of your system accessible to other computers whenever it's powered on?

In my case, I find that a reliable USB Flash drive is more than enough to satisfy my file-sharing needs. It doesn't pose a real security risk (since I'm the only one that uses the USB drive) and there's almost zero concern with compatibility or connectivity issues; I just plug it in and *poof*! It's accessible.

We're all more than happy to help you along if you really want a file-sharing solution. Let us know if you run into more hurdles with this endeavor and we'll pitch in.

Best of luck,
    - Douglas
    [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

Working...
    X