Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kde-core not in dpkg database after install (bug or not bug?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde-core not in dpkg database after install (bug or not bug?)

hi there

before maybe 3 weeks i switched from kubuntu gutsy to hardy beta. everything is okay and really working fine on my machine. today i'm trying to compile kwine, this needs the kde-devel packages. okay, i started the adet_manager, marked the kde-devel package for installation and moved the mouse to the apply button. but then i saw that it wanted also to install the kde-core packages. my question is, why? kde-cor should be installed after the installation of hardy, or i'm wrong? i installed everything now and hope that my installation is not dead when i'm rebooting after writing this.

greets
    Ghost

Re: kde-core not in dpkg database after install (bug or not bug?)

It is a "meta-package" meaning it defines a bundle of packages for KDE:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/kde/kde-core

But, because Kubuntu is already configured with KDE, there is no necessity to install the meta-package kde-core, for a basic installation, i.e. it is redundant to what you already installed.

However, to install KDE in the first place on a system that doesn't already have it, you would install kde-core to get all the essential packages. Apparently there are some packages in the kde-core bundle that are needed if you are going to install the developers packages -- that is not a part of the basic Kubuntu configuration.

Comment

ah ok, thank you

now i removed kde3 (except some special things like adept, jokey and kaffeine), and tried kde4
      a bit unstable, but the pc is just for dvb-s, a bit surfing and as firewall. it looks nice and i will stay.

but i'm missing some packages like kdepim for kde4

greets
      ghost

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfTheNet

but i'm missing some packages like kdepim for kde4
        KDE4 does not yet have 1-for-1 replacements for every package that exists in KDE3.5. I don't have the list, but kdepim must be one of them. Kinfocenter is another that I'm aware of, and I think the same goes for kcontrol too. And there's only one Adept Manager version, along with Adept Notifier and Adept Updater.

Comment

Working...
        X