This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz starting automatically?

I just did a fresh install of Hardy X64 this morning. I install Compiz-Fusion and Emeral. I haven't configured either of them yet though but somehow Compiz, specifially compiz and compiz.real, is starting automatically. It isn't in my Autostart directory and I have not idea what else might be starting it. Where could I look to find out?

Re: Compiz starting automatically?

Emerald has been acting kinda weird for me the past 3 days, so I'm not entirely sure what is going on. But, here's how I normally set it up to run automatically.

Open Konsole.

enter
    Code:
     compiz
    note that the command line prompt does not return.

If it runs correctly (i.e has Emerald window borders and you have the cube), then close other programs, and do a shutdown/restart of the system. (I think maybe you could do a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and accomplish the same thing).

Upon rebooting and logging in, Compiz runs immediately following your login.

That's it.

As I said, starting Thursday, it is running with Kwin instead of Emerald borders, and they're not too stable either. I'm working on that issue.

Comment

I think you misunderstood him, Dibl. His problem is that it *is* starting automagically.

Kevin: open up console and run "kwin --replace &" to shut it down. I'm not sure if logging out/in will cause kwin to now be your window manager though, as I haven't ever gone back from Compiz.

I keep an icon in my quicklinks that runs "compiz --replace &". So, if compiz flakes out and crashes (leaving me with no borders) I can just click that icon to get everything back.

-J
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

My problem joins yours...

I think that when you log out, KDE save the session, like opened apps and everything. And it does so for compiz. Try kwin --replace, then logout (not ctrl+bckspc ) and you should be fine.

Ok, so now I want to try and tweak all my startup process. I have big issues with compiz loading and all 3 applets : system tray, task bar - compiz and desktop preview - compiz
        They all kind of start messed up after KDE is finished loading.
        e.g.
        adept not in systray or no icons artwork -> fixed by closing and starting kopete
        desktop preview showing only one desktop
        taskbar displaying all tasks, whatever desktop you're on (i only want the tasks from the active desktop)
        fixed by removing/adding the applets.

My question is, how do I tweak all this startup procedure to have compiz launched after everything ? is there any "atStop script" to remove or kill compiz and/or remove it from the saved KDE session when login out?

I've seen this issue that might help, i'll try it tomorrow, if I get back home alone
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/111232

Comment

Working...
        X