This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choppy high definition video playback

I run Kubuntu 8.04 64 bit with Intel quad core 6600 and XFX GeForce 8600GT 256 PCI-express graphics card @ 620 Mhz GPU speed. High definition video playback (mpeg4 lavc codec) as well as normal DVDs (mpeg2) is a bit choppy since I upgraded from my 17" 1280x1024 to a 22" 1920x1200 pixel screen. Of course almost twice the amount of pixels have to be displayed. I was kind of surprised though that a Windows Media WMV high definition video (1920x1080) plays back fine (also using Kaffeine). Also, the same DVDs play just fine under Windows XP.

I have Nvidia restricted drivers (version 169.12) installed. I tried 4 different players (Kaffeine, mplayer, vlc, KMplayer), results all identical.

My BIG question is: is the limit a) the Kubuntu Nvidia drivers and/or media players, b) my graphics card performance, c) limited graphics card memory (256 MB) and memory speed?

Re: Choppy high definition video playback

After you replaced your "smaller" monitor with the larger one, did you reconfigure the nvidia driver??
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Choppy high definition video playback

No, I didn't, but have since re-installed the nvidia driver because for some reason it got removed. Nvidia xconfig automatically configures the monitor in xorg.conf as 1920x1200. Through that I also found that without nvidia driver playback is much worse, so at least something is working on my system.

I have since discovered that lavc mpeg4 playback is much smoother at low bitrates (i.e. 2 MBit) but somewhat choppy at 4-5 MBit. But that really shouldn't happen...There got to be a Kubuntu performance bottleneck somewhere since the graphics card can apparently manage the video part of it and the CPU is certainly fast enough.

Comment

Working...
      X