Comment

Re: Corrupted filenames in external hard drive

In a konsole, in /media:
      Code:
      sudo chmod -R 777 sdd1
      and you should be done.

Comment

No this won't do. I even used the chown to change the ownership from root to me but i got an access denied message

Comment

Now I'm really puzzled! If you used sudo, you are acting as root (the owner of the file) therefore you have the right to change it's permissions and (as root) the right to Recursively (the -R) change the perms of all the underlying directories and files. Are you sure that preceded these commands by cd-ing to /media?

The only thing that I can think of is that /media/sdd1 is, of course, a link for /dev/sdd1 and recursive changes don't work over links. In which case, you'll have to cd into /media/sdd1 and run "sudo chmod 777 *" on everything.

Comment

I'm as surprised as askrieger here.

You say you have tried chown already, but could you post the output of the following command please? This is most intriguing:
            Code:
            sudo su
            chown -R your_user_name sdd1
            exit
            The reason I am opening a proper root shell here is because, in your fstab, you have nosuid set for some reason...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I run the following commands as toad suggested:

Code:
              sudo su
              chown -R my_name sdd1
              exit
              and for all of my files i got the message "operation not permitted" !!!!!!!! I suppose the fact that the disk is formatted in FAT32 has nothing to do with my problem...

Comment

Get rid of the nosuid in your fstab, do a reboot and run through the same commands again.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My fstab looks like this:

Code:
                  # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                  proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                  # /dev/sdb6
                  UUID=48e66e7b-c32c-4f2d-9ded-e12683e0dd0a / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                  # /dev/sdb1
                  UUID=be1c2b17-7fa5-4175-9d97-2dd034f8a62d /home ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                  # /dev/sdb5
                  UUID=3ffe8539-e328-4041-84a4-c888cfe066e0 none swap sw 0 0
                  /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 auto users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/sdd1 /media/sdd1 auto users,auto,atime,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  I re-run the chown command but i still get operation not permitted for all of my files. ARE YOU SURE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT THIS EXTERNAL DRIVE IS FAT32 FORMATTED?

Comment

I haven't got a clue, I'm afraid. This has just about exhausted my non-existent experience of external drives. But as a last word, I wouldn't put an external drive in the fstab but treat it just like a USB stick (which is what it is, just bigger) - plug in and go. Just try that...

Comment

I'll safely reomove the drive, disable-delete the drive from the System Settings panel, delete the line from the fstab file, restart, plug in and let you know.

Comment

Ok, now it is recognized under /media/disk, i can write to the disk, but i've come up with the initial problem of this post, i.e. the corrupted Greek filenames in the drive. Tricky one huh?

I mount it in the fstab and it recognizes the greek filenames correctly, but i can't write to the disk. I mount it as a usb drive, not in the fstab, i can write to it but it doesn't display correctly the greek filenames!!

Comment

I plugged in an external drive of my brother's, formatted as NTFS and everything works great! Write permissions and correct display of greek characters. So i guess it's FAT32's fault.

Comment

Hurray!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                              Hurray!!!
                              The problem is i've got nowhere to transfer almost 300GB of songs and videos, so as to format me drive in NTFS. If anyone can give an explanation about the problem with FAT32 would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by dimmutal
                                I re-run the chown command but i still get operation not permitted for all of my files. ARE YOU SURE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT THIS EXTERNAL DRIVE IS FAT32 FORMATTED?
                                If it's a fat file system, you can add mount options to your fstab to change permissions or ownership (chmod or chown don't work on fat)

Examples:
                                you can add 'umask=0000' option to make the drive writable for all users and/or 'uid=1000,gid=1000' to make the default user the owner.

/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 auto users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,umask=0000 0 0
                                or
                                /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 auto users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,uid=1000,gid=100 0 0 0
                                You can also try 'utf8' option if you get corrupted characters on filenames

Comment

Working...
                                X