X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disk scan on start-up

Hi

Does anyone know which command Kubuntu uses when it scans the partition on start-up (every 30 mount, I think)?

I believe it was this scanning that produced quite a lot of output which I ignored. Now that my disk seems so corrupted that my system hangs, I would like to run the same command from Knoppix to take a closer look at the output.

I tried fsck with different paramters, but did not get the same output as I used to have on start-up (lots of numbers and a message saying nothing was repaired). I would like to be quite sure that it really is the disk that is the problem before I go out and buy a new.

Thanks,
    bkv

Re: disk scan on start-up

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    man fsck
    for help on using the fsck command.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Open a console and type:
      Code:
      man fsck
      for help on using the fsck command.
      I have done that

Comment

Re-re-read your initial post.

fsck does not check the integrity of the drive - it checks the integrity of the filesystems. If you are getting no error results from running fsck, that simply means that the checked filesystems are okay.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Re-re-read your initial post.

fsck does not check the integrity of the drive - it checks the integrity of the filesystems. If you are getting no error results from running fsck, that simply means that the checked filesystems are okay.
          Do you know if Linux has a way to check the drive?
          -bkv

Comment

Working...
          X