This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Disappointment with Linux

I've been using Kubuntu for 4 weeks now. One of my greatest disappointments with this operating system is the process of updating software. Some packages are extremely easy, but other are incredibly difficult to completely impossible to install.

To date, I've had to do a complete re-install of Kubuntu no less than 10 times because of software installation errors. I can't use the Adept Updater because it keeps trashing my install. Updater is telling me that there are 183 updates to install. One of those updates hangs because of something it can't overwrite, and the systems halts. When I try to reboot, Grub boom manager gives me a "Error 15, can't find file" error. It's unrecoverable.

I tried backing up my install before doing upgrades. I read in the forums that the following command would back up the current installation.

tar cvpfz /backup.tgz / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media

Then if a problem were to arise, the following command would restore that back-up:

tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /

(Both commands are performed as root with su premissions)

That didn't work either. Install the system one more time.

Isn't there an easier way?
    Just call me Ness...

Re: Great Disappointment with Linux

If you haven't followed the following after an initial install of Gutsy, then your problems with updating will never be resolved.

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You may also prefer to use synaptic instead of adept. I find it easier. Having said that, adept looks promising.

Kubuntu uses the dpkg (debian packaging) which I have found solid and reliable, having had debian sid from its original install about 6 years ago and just updated it as I went along, it works (and handled hardware updates happily). It does have many advanced features, something won't install due to the file in another package (very rare) use the --force option. These can be found by reading the documentation.

I prefer updating by hand, I have the adept notifier turned off, but probably daily I do

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade

Comment

Thanks Snowhog, I just read your post now and it solved my problem!

I only installed Kubuntu yesterday. And already I love it more than Vista!

Comment

You're welcome. You will find your move from Windoze to Linux 'easier' if you just remember that Linux is not Windoze. Kubuntu has a familiar 'look' to Windoze, but underneath, it's different. Search this Forum when you have a question (most times, you question(s) have already been asked by others - and answered) before you post. Use Google too. Google is your friend. Click on Help in the upper right corner of the Forum for very useful tips.

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by stealthbanana
            You may also prefer to use synaptic instead of adept. I find it easier. Having said that, adept looks promising.

Kubuntu uses the dpkg (debian packaging) which I have found solid and reliable, having had debian sid from its original install about 6 years ago and just updated it as I went along, it works (and handled hardware updates happily). It does have many advanced features, something won't install due to the file in another package (very rare) use the --force option. These can be found by reading the documentation.

I prefer updating by hand, I have the adept notifier turned off, but probably daily I do

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            Thank you for the help. This actually worked this time without failing.

A Thousand Thanks...
            Just call me Ness...

Comment

It does have many advanced features, something won't install due to the file in another package (very rare) use the --force option. These can be found by reading the documentation.
              I would be careful using force option I trashed my system doing this once I find if a package is held back check online for the answer first before using the force option.

Comment

Originally posted by haggus

I would be careful using force option
                I second that motion!

Many conditions that cause a "held" situation on packages are resolved within a day or two, especially if you're located outside of Europe where users can get to the Canonical servers quickly. Patience is your friend, often times.

Comment

no offense, but this sounds like a case of user error (or not knowing the system well enough yet) not necessarily the fault of software.
                  <br />

Comment

Originally posted by echoes~
                    no offense, but this sounds like a case of user error (or not knowing the system well enough yet) not necessarily the fault of software.
                    you can trash kubuntu gutsy installation on any pc if you choose to update with adept and won't resolve errors before you reboot
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/158043

#edit: this info is wrong, oops!

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
                      you can trash kubuntu gutsy installation on any pc if you choose to update with adept and won't resolve errors before you reboot
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/158043
                      never happened to me nor have i heard of it happening to anyone.
                      <br />

Comment

never happened to me nor have i heard of it happening to anyone.
                        steps to reproduce: burn kubuntu 7.10 cd, make clean install, run update with adept.
                        You will hit bug 158043 100%

#edit: you were right, just rebooting after this lock happens in adept updater the operating system still works, so sorry for misinformation!

Comment

Working...
                        X