• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Problem

I receive this error when I log In.

Sound server fatal error:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Operation not permitted)

Why & how do I fix?

Re: Sound Problem

Sorry for the delay in responding, but you haven't given us too much to work with, so here are some things that I'd try. First of all, has your sound system worked before? If so, what did you change? You'd be amazed at how seemingly trivial changes can propagate.

If you don't think you changed anything: Start up system settings (K>"System Settings")

The first thing I'd look at would be "Sound System" on the "General" tab. The first item "Enable Sound System" should be checked (That's why it's in bold.). "Enable network sound" should be unchecked. "Run with highest possible priority" should be checked, but this may cause problems, so I'd uncheck and see if that helps. I have the "sound buffer" slider set in the middle and the "autosuspend" time set to 90 seconds, although the 60 sec. default is probably fine. The hardware tab should be set "autodetect". Read the sound server help, if you want to try anything else. The quickest way to get a usually usable system is just to click the default button. However, this may be the cause of your problem.

The next thing I'd do would be to look under "User Management">Groups and make sure that your user is listed as a member of the audio group (group number 29).

Please come back and tell us what worked (or didn't).

Comment

Working...
    X