This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

revert sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I installed ubuntu-desktop package to see how gksudo works compared to kdesudo, now I would like to get rid of gnome, is there a simple way to remove gnome stuff?

#edit: fixed typo in the headline

Re: rever sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Just un-install the ubuntu-desktop package. If you are concerned/worried about what will be removed, just open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --simulate ubuntu-desktop
    to see what packages will actually be removed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Just un-install the ubuntu-desktop package. If you are concerned/worried about what will be removed, just open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --simulate ubuntu-desktop
      to see what packages will actually be removed.
      well, that won't get rid of gnome. This is metapackage like kubuntu-desktop.
      Is it possible to list all packages installed by "k/ubuntu-desktop" metapackage?
      If only I could "ubuntu desktop - kubuntu desktop"

Comment

Heh heh -- klerfayt, you're a bit like a guy in quicksand, huh? Every time you make a move, you sink a little deeper into the muck.

I honestly do not know know how to determine all the gnome apps that were dragged in when you installed ubuntu-desktop. I would think Mr. Google should be able to chase that down for you -- it is a finite list of packages. Probably your fate is to remove them one at a time (and wonder what spider webs were left behind). :P

This may help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002

If you get sufficiently discouraged from trying to clean that mess up, you might contemplate the opportunity that is coming up in 4 or 5 weeks -- the Hardy Heron release. I'm running the Beta of it, and have been running the Alphas for about 4 weeks, with no serious incidents. I think it's going to be an excellent version -- Canonical intends it to be a Long Term Support (LTS) release. So, a clean installation of 8.04 and then install KDE4, and you will be running the latest and greatest Kubuntu, and your Gnome miseries can be a long-lost memory.

Comment

There is this way:-

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: revert sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I did it my way 8) ... well with the help of #sed irc channel users
            Code:
            apt-cache showpkg kubuntu-desktop
            --> wrote the list into kubuntu.txt
            Code:
            apt-cache showpkg ubuntu-desktop
            --> wrote the list into ubuntu.txt

removed this strange (0 (null)) from both lists
            Code:
            sed -i 's/(0 (null))//g' kubuntu.txt
            sed -i 's/(0 (null))//g' ubuntu.txt
            formatted kubuntu.txt like it would be sed command line:
            Code:
            sed -i 's: :\\>//;s/\\<:g' kubuntu.txt
            now I added sed -i 's/\< in front, pasted kubuntu.txt contents into middle and typed \>//g' ubuntu.txt in the end

finally removed long spaces from ubuntu.txt:
            Code:
            sed -i 's/[ ]\+/ /g' ubuntu.txt
            so this is the final difference between ubuntu/kubuntu-desktop metapackage lists (ubuntu.txt):
            alacarte consolekit cupsys-driver-gutenprint dcraw desktop-file-utils doc-base eog evince evolution-webcal fast-user-switch-applet file-roller gcalctool gconf-editor gdebi gdm gedit gimp-python gnome-about gnome-app-install gnome-applets gnome-btdownload gnome-control-center gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring-manager gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-spell gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-themes gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-esd gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gthumb gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-pixbuf gucharmap hal-device-manager hwdb-client-gnome language-selector libgnome2-perl libgnomevfs2-bin libgnomevfs2-extra libpt-plugins-v4l libpt-plugins-v4l2 metacity nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-sendto notification-daemon rss-glx screensaver-default-images scrollkeeper serpentine sound-juicer ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-config-printer tangerine-icon-theme tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-sounds update-notifier usplash-theme-ubuntu vino xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xterm xvnc4viewer yelp zenity app-install-data-commercial apport-gtk bluez-gnome brltty-x11 bug-buddy compiz contact-lookup-applet deskbar-applet displayconfig-gtk diveintopython ekiga espeak evolution evolution-exchange evolution-plugins example-content f-spot firefox-gnome-support gimp gimp-print gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-games gnome-mag gnome-orca gnome-screensaver gnome-user-guide hal-cups-utils libdeskbar-tracker libpam-gnome-keyring network-manager-gnome onboard openoffice.org openoffice.org-evolution openoffice.org-gnome pidgin restricted-manager rhythmbox scim scim-gtk2-immodule scim-tables-additional tomboy totem totem-mozilla tracker tracker-search-tool ubufox ubuntu-docs xsane
            I still had to reinstall these files:
            desktop-file-utils openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-impress
            openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer python-uno gimp

Comment

Working...
            X