X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online updates

Hi,

About two weeks ago some KDE software update screwed my system up so i couldn't log on anymore. Anyhow i wasn't able to rioll back and stuff so i just reinstalled the distri and rolled back my home dir earlier backed up. Now i don't want this to happen again that's why i haven't applied any updates yet. How safe is it to apply the queued updates?
    Has this "update bug" been fixed?

Thanks,
    Ron
    roN

http://www.inetgate.biz

Re: Online updates

When in doubt as to what any particular package will do to your system, just open a console and type:
    sudo apt-get install --simulate package
    Multiple packages can be included:
    sudo apt-get install --simulate package package package ...
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      When in doubt as to what any particular package will do to your system, just open a console and type:
      sudo apt-get install --simulate package
      Multiple packages can be included:
      sudo apt-get install --simulate package package package ...
      Right but this still wouldn't tell me if the updates have been fixed, I don't think i want to simulate all the packages that are queued by now. And how would i roll back in case the simulation wasn't succesfull?

Thanks,
      Ron
      roN

http://www.inetgate.biz

Comment

You reinstalled Gutsy recently. Ensure that you have disabled/deleted the cdrom repository from Adept Manager. If you have not, do so and refresh the updates. Also ensure that you have enabled all the repositories on the first tab (the last does not have to be enabled unless you intend to download source files for compiling). After the update list has been generated, you should have no problems allowing Adept to run them. I'm running Gutsy and other than the early problem with System Settings, it's running just fine - no problems.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X