Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank screen for logout or turnoff. Only hard shutdown possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screen for logout or turnoff. Only hard shutdown possible?

I recently installed Kubuntu and quickly found out that ATI cards are a problem. After numerous tries with the latest ati driver it finally works (with compiz, etc). However one problem popped out. I am not able to turn off or log out. When attempting any of this opperations the computer just hangs with a blank screen indefinetely. I f I then press the power button once, the splash screen appears and the PC shuts down. Since this problem appered only after installing the proprietary ati driver it is probably related. I am new to Linux and have no clue as to what settings can be changed to address this shut off issue. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Blank screen for logout or turnoff. Only hard shutdown possible?

This may be of help for now:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Could you post the specs on your machine?
    Board, Prossesor, Ram Graphoics card and version, etc

Maybe someone can help more with a bit more info
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I am not able to turn off or log out. When attempting any of this opperations the computer just hangs with a blank screen indefinetely.

Since this problem appered only after installing the proprietary ati driver it is probably related.
      AMD (Ati) catalyst drivers 8.01 (and maybe 8.02) have this bug:
      The Xserver freezes on shutdown if atieventsd is running.
      and freezes if you log out or try to use virtual console.

More:
      System lockup with catalyst 8.01
      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7448

Removing atieventsd daemon:

Topic: ATI fglrx higher screen size resolution than 1280x1024
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090086.0

FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

and finally, for the "hard shutdown" aspect of it:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Comment

Thank you guys for the interest in helping the new one.

Now system specs: Asus nforce2 mobo, Athlon XP + and the culprit: Ati X1650 pro 512 MB Ram.

Everything else seems to be working fine. The fglrx driver is installed and working, so is compiz. It just does not want to shut down.

I followed the suggestion with atievents and removed those. The problem persists.

I opened a terminal window and typed: halt. Apparently you have to be root so I had to retype sudo halt. The PC promptly powered off. I then tried in a terminal sudo reboot. The PC promptly rebooted.

So the problem is occuring only when using the turnoff, reboot buttons from the Kmenu.

Is there a root password that I have to add somewhere in order to use the graphical commands?

I can use the terminal but my kids (although allready managing nicely with firefox) will just leave the PC at the blank screen until I get home.

Comment

Well, I solved it- at least temporarily. I went into system settings-advanced -session manager and unchecked confirm logout. No there is no logout but at least the PC powers down immediately by itself.

I guess it would have to do until Ati or compiz comes up with an upgrade that will solve the problem.

Finally I have a Kubuntu PC that works 100%. And compared to Vista, in terms of performance and eye candy it just leaves Msoft in the dust.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

I make no apologies for resurrecting an ageing Topic.

I installed Envy last Saturday, and have had a similar problem ever since - a black screen of nothing until i pressed the Off button. Pressing the Alt-Ctrl-Backspace/Alt-Ctrl-Delete buttons resulted in (seemingly at random) re-boot. Never a shut-down, until i pressed and held the power button at the appropriate moment.

I tried un-checking the "confirm logout" approach, which resulted in an instant re-boot....

What worked for me was to make the default shutdown option "Turn off computer", and to make sure that the "Confirm logout" and "Offer shutdown options" are still checked.

I had previously tried the "sudo update-rc.d -f atieventsd remove", with no effect.

Incidentally, Envy claimed to have installed the correct driver for my card - an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, but it doesn't appear in the driver list....

Comment

Working...
              X