This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cannot log into Kubuntu

After installing updates I can no longer log into a KDE3 session. It gets to "Initializing System Services" and then kicks me back to the login screen. On occasion I get the error "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation." Then I can click "OK" and get kicked back to the login screen.

I am able to log into a KDE4 or failsafe session. Although I've been having other issues with KDE4...

I've tried running "startx" but it runs KDE4 (not sure how to get it to start KDE3?).

I don't see any errors in the "Xorg.0.log"

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Cannot log into Kubuntu

I've been having the same login issue the past couple of days since I did the update as well.
    I haven't had a chance to look into what's been causing it but I have one thought

Do you run the nVidia drivers downloaded from the nVidia website? I know I do and I believe I need to log into a console session and recompile them for the new Kernel. I'm not sure if this is the issue but it's all I got right now. Maybe someone else knows what's causing this and can provide illumination.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I run the ati drivers on my laptop. I tried reinstalling them but to no avail...same problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Hate to be a "me too"...but me too
        Hey...where'd my sig go?(#*&%)@(!#!%

Comment

I have the same issue on three systems with different configurations and no 3rd party Video drivers. Debian users seem to be having this issue as well.
          Wait for a fix before uninstalling what you currently have and creating more issues.

Marc

Comment

Re: Cannot log into Kubuntu (solved)

The following solved my problem:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6734#msg116734

Comment

Working...
            X