• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Virtual Desktop

Hi
    I installed Kubuntu 7.10 two weeks ago.

I have a problem with virtual desktop.

Initialy I had 2 desktop: they worked!

I installed Geforce 8800 GT nVidia driver with envy: the desktop became 4. The 2 new don't work!

I have compiz too!

If I add some virtual desktop (N), they become doubled (N*2). Only two desktop are functionally but if I drag and drop an application on virtual desktop minimap, the application disappear! I have to use kill command to terminate it, and restart.

Some ideas?

Re: Problem with Virtual Desktop

Yes. Right-click your desktop, choose "configure desktop > behavior" and change it to only 1 virtual desktop.

Open KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects>General, and set the horizontal size to 4, leaving the others at 1. Also "x" Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube. Close it and you should be in business. You might have to restart the X server to have the changes become effective.

Comment

Your idea is: Have You problems with Virtual Desktop? Eliminate them!
      Correct?

Comment

No, I think it's that KDE does virtual desktops, Compiz does virtual desktops (the notorious cube), and them both trying to do it causes much confusion, so keep KDE out of the picture and let Compiz handle it. I presume the described procedure will give 4 desktops.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I set 1 desktop for KDE, 4 for Compiz. Now the drag & drop of apps works, but I see the preview of apps only on active desktop. The cube and other effect doesn't work. Expo works showing me only 1 desktop.

Comment

Working...
          X