X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xsession 'problem'

Hi.

I had alook at the Afterstep wm recently as i had never heard about it before and although I thought it had a good look it was rather clunky. So I tried to get back to the original wm (KDE) but had some problems. Eventually I got rid of afterstep but I now get the following every time I startup:

Xsession: unable to launch ""X session - - - " not found: falling back to default session

Okay

I've looked at different files because I assume that there is an 'afterstep' entry hanging about which needs editing out - but no luck.

Can anyone kindly advise the file I should be looking at?

Thanks

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Xsession 'problem'

It sounds like your xorg.conf became befuddled while you were using Afterstep If you can get to a command prompt, run the command
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Then, run the command
    Code:
    startx
    If you don't get a GUI, run the 1st command again, excluding the "-phigh" argument; it would look like
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Choose "vesa" as you video driver, and answer everything else as best you can; choose the default answer for anything you're unsure of - we can straighten everything out once you get a working GUI. Then, run "startx" again, which should begin a KDM session.

Let me know how it goes.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

integr8e,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for delay in getting back (work interferes).

I'm sorry but I don't think I explained the problem clearly enough.

I get into the kde wm ok but only after clicking on the 'ok' button on the warning notice previously mentioned. My issue is only with the warning message itself - i.e. how do I get rid of it?

I've done all the other stuff you suggested anyway but this little notice still pops up!

Thanks

Comment

Try running the command
        Code:
        sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
        That should install any missing packages that are included by default in Kubuntu, and might fix your problem.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Did as you suggested and increased my package total by 56 items! Did a restart but that pesky message is still there.

It's not a real problem but one wonders why it turned up and why it wont go away. Perhaps I have a fan!!

BFN

Comment

See here at the end of the thread.:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-96066.html

where there is a gdm, replace with kdm and that is where that particular file is.

Scratch that, it's actually here "/etc/kde3/kdm" but I don't think that will totally work if you don't have a backup file located there.

Comment

What is the full message you get?
              "Xsession: unable to launch ""X session - - - " not found: falling back to default session"
              seems incomplete.

Sorry again. That must have been the complete message as this guy here had the same question with no answers, unfortunately.
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=544760

Edit: Well, did find a German site that had a similar problem. I don't read German, but it appeared that they were refering back to the "xorg.conf" file. Have you made changes to this or tried to reconfigure X?

Comment

Hi.

I've only tried what integr8e suggested and I've also looked at that which you mention. I shall run thru all the x config files and see if anything crops up that throws some light on this minor but irritating item.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X