This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop: cutting files doesn't delete them

I noticed that when I use "cut" files on the desktop and "pasting" them elsewhere, the original remains on the desktop. Slightly puzzling since this would rather be "copying" than "cutting".

Is this by design, or is this a bug?

("Moving files" of course just does what it says, and no copy remains on the desktop ...)

Re: Desktop: cutting files doesn't delete them

Cutting a file on the Desktop and pasting elsewhere removes the 'cut' file from my Desktop. Are you sure you are 'cutting' and not 'copying' the file??
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yupp. Marking file on desktop, pressing ctrl+x to cut, switching location, pressing ctrl+v to paste, and ... no, the file remains on the desktop.

Same when using the mouse context menu.

(I'm not THAT much of a newbie ... )

Comment

I wonder whether it has to do with my other desktop-related problem, i.e. that mounted devices don't show up upon start-up ... (see http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090657.0).

Comment

Originally posted by homoludens
          (I'm not THAT much of a newbie ... )
          Didn't intend to imply you were (I don't assume anything).

I just tried the select then Ctrl+X, move to new location and Ctrl+V. File was 'moved' as it was supposed to. File at original location (Desktop) 'disappeared.' I doubt that your other problem is contributing to this. I too, don't have mounted HDs showing on the Desktop 'unless one is manually selected.' I have no idea if this is 'by design' or a 'bug,' but I don't worry about it (simply isn't a deal buster for me).
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You're right, it's not a big deal, especially since I can always use the mouse and drag&drop.

I did notice, though, that my installation in general "copies" files instead of "moving them," when I use cut/paste. Strange ...

Comment

It could be a permissions problem. If you don't have permission to delete the file, when you use cut, would it merely copy instead of deleting? Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
              X