This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mp3 Media Players

Ive got a large collection of MP3's (160000+) which are on a NFS enabled network device (100mb/s connection). Ive tried Xmms, Audacious, Songbird and Rhythmbox. All of which, in their own ways, are good and have something the other ones don't, but id like one with all the bits

Any suggestions on what to use? (p.s no amarok)
    Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Re: Mp3 Media Players

Amarok
    txWingMan

Comment

it takes far too long to populate playlists, espically sizable ones like mine.
      Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I think amarok uses mysql to manage the playlists which as I understand it means its about as fast as it gets.

That said, maybe try BMPx, its still somewhat in development but personally its the only alternative to amarok that I ever consider.

Another option, seriously you may what to consider deleting some of those mp3s, or at least just not keeping them all in your playlist at once. Doing a back of the napkin calculation 160000 mp3s must be near 500 straight days of playback so its not like there is any chance of you actually ever listening to them all. I used to just collect mp3s, but nowadays I realised I'm much better off keeping my collection more limited and thus really only having the music I truly like.

You might also be interested in Banshee & Mplayer or more probably juK.

Comment

tried banshee last night - crashed on load of the m3u file, juk, have used in the past, will check that out again.

Amarok is slow as compared to xmms and rhythmbox, the latter can run through the files seemlessly.

Audacious is going ok, but for some odd reason it only plays one at a time and i have to press next (odd??)

Comment

Originally posted by eggbanjo
            Amarok is slow as compared to xmms and rhythmbox, the latter can run through the files seemlessly.
            I wonder if there is anyone out there with the knowledge to explain why this is so to us? I'm interested to know.

Comment

it must be to do with how each mediaplayer stores the database, amarok uses sql, not sure about the other 2

Comment

Originally posted by eggbanjo

I don't understand -- what do you mean "slow"? It plays one song, then it plays the next song, then the next one -- the songs play at the correct speed. They go into the playlist as fast as I put them there. What is slow?

Comment

slow adding the full playlist into the player, also the periodic checks it doesnt when you first start the player up. Even with the 'read metadata on load' setting switch on in xmms it populates the playlist 10x as fast as amarok.

Comment

I guess it depends on how many songs are in your playlist. Amarok works well for me with around 4000 songs. Amarok by default uses sqlite for the database. I don't know what the limits are for that database. Also a Amarok can do 'Smart Playlists' which will only load 50 songs into the playlist, but add a song from the database as soon as one is played. This would allow you to listen to all of the songs you want without filling the playlist too much.

Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I really don't know SQLite limitations, but Amarok can be changed to use MySQL instead. Instructions are here.

Edit: you don't really need to do this. Simply go to Configure Amarok, section Collection and change database to MySQL. Of course, you have to have a running database already.
                      The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Working...
                      X