This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde4 goes to black screen now

Everything was fine, then I rebooted and logged back into kde4 and now it goes to a black screen with a cursor (an active cursor).

It plays the startup music and everything.

I think the video card is ok, I didn't change anything there whist rebooting, and I can boot to kde3 just fine.

What did I do?? How can I troubleshoot?

help!

Re: kde4 goes to black screen now

Does Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F1 give you a CLI prompt?

Comment

yep

Comment

Somehow you broke your video driver. See if this helps:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

does kde4 use a different video driver than kde3?

And if the video driver were flaky, would I have the mouse pointer visible?

I think somehow I buggered the desktop widget. How can I get back to the default settings for that?

Comment

WHoa, ok, I logged back onto kde4 and somehow got it to come up. I think I held down ctrl-alt and then wiggled the mouse. wtf?

Anyway, now I dont have wallpaper, and the desktop isnt updating right...

I attached a screenshot, hope it comes through
            Attached Files

Comment

For crying out loud

while I was in kde4 and it was acting weird, I turned Desktop Effects on just for giggles

It immediately went to black screen with mouse cursor and wouldn't come back

So I rebooted the computer, and logged into KDE4 again, it was the black screen, then I typed the ole "Ctrl-Alt-Del" seq and voila, the desktop came back and is working fine, desktop effects and everything.

WTF?

Comment

I've had a similar problem and ran rm -r ~/.kde4.
                When you reboot everything is back with default settings. There's probably a less total reset possible but this may work if nothing else does.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8

So I rebooted the computer, and logged into KDE4 again, it was the black screen, then I typed the ole "Ctrl-Alt-Del" seq and voila, the desktop came back and is working fine, desktop effects and everything.

WTF?
                  Remember the part about "KDE 4 is Beta, even if they release it?"

Comment

yeah, damn those non-beta betas

For those that might encounter a similar problem. It seems to be a bug somewhere in the Desktop effects. When the screen goes black (with an active mouse pointer), try doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the logoff stuff up. Then hit cancel and the desktop should be back to some extent. Make your way to the system settings - Desktop, and turn off desktop effects, then log off and back on. It fixed most of my problems, although there are still a few strange things.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X